fuel injection problem...car not running

I get a diagnostic error code 223 (idle control valve not present or faulty.)

the car would run intermittant and tehn one day refused to start. I have spark, and fuel to the the injectors (I can even get the injectors to spray by pushing the valve in with a small screwdriver, but they are not injecting fuel into the engine. I am really stumped. would the faulty idle control valve prevent the car from starting? it's a $100-150 dollar part, so I'ld rather not just start replacing things in a hit or miss approach to repair. Is there a way to test? Does anybody know the required voltage at the injectors?

thanks in advance--mike

Reply to
m4j2t

Which car?

Reply to
OBD

which model and year?

Reply to
volvoguy

sorry

1989 740 gl 2.3l not turbo
Reply to
m4j2t
1989 740 gl 2.3l nonturbo
Reply to
m4j2t

The injectors get 12 volts through the resistors. At BAP, the guy at the counter checked for basic operation with a little pulser device that ran off a 9V battery. The symptoms really don't figure for actual injector trouble. And I think the code is a red herring - the idle air control valve won't kill the engine completely.

Have you verified you have spark? If not, start looking at the crank angle sensor (on the flywheel housing in your model, IIRC) as a suspect. The injectors don't inject if the engine doesn't seem to be turning. I know a lot of people get uneasy when I suggest a spray of starter fluid in the air cleaner to see if the engine will "vroom" if it gets fuel, but that is a definitive way to determine whether your problem is just fuel delivery.

Mike

Reply to
Michael Pardee