Heated Seats recall

Just this morning received a letter from my dealer asking me to bring in my '96 855 for a heated seat wiring fix.

This after I wrote to Volvo UK last month telling them of the US safety recall for the same thing which was dated last year - what an uncanny co-incidence!

I had read on the web that the wiring will only be replaced IF damage has not already been caused and the seats are still working.

If the seats no longer work, the "repair" work under the recall notice won't be carried out.

I'm no lawyer, but if the wiring is a known problem (hence the recall) and damage is caused because of it, then how can Volvo escape responsibility for the subsequent repair?

Anyone qualified to comment?

AB

Reply to
AB

Often the failure causing the seat heat not to work is not in the area of the wiring covered by the recall. The heater pad is a common point of failure, the recall covers some of the wiring under the seat.

However, that begs the question: If they don't do the recall operation because the seat heater is not working, what happens if you have the seat heater fixed at a later date?

Reply to
Mike F

(USA)

I had my '96 850 Turbo Sedan repaired under the recall. Almost a year ago. My passenger seat worked fine the drivers seat was DOA. I had already determined that the crimped wire fastener going to the seat bottom had separated. I could have fixed it myself but "they" replaced the entire wiring harness for the seats and everything else save the elements themselves..

FYI

Reply to
Steve

What years were covered by the recall? I have a 95 850 turbo wagon and the heated seats no longer work.

Reply to
Phil Kozlak

Reply to
Steve

I've been struggling with the heated seats on my '97 960 sedan for quite while... do you have any info on the scope of the recall?

Thanks, Scott

Reply to
scott

I was told it was 96 and 97 models, but have nothing in writing... best bet is give a dealer a call, and they should be able to tell you.

Mark

Reply to
Mark Seeley

The recall will not repair a seat heater that is not working part of the recall is to check the heater grids with a ohm meter & note on the back of the repair order if they are good or bad . The recall installs a new thermostatic control relay this replaces the thermostat in the seat bottom

Reply to
G Klein