1997 960... heated seats?

Has anyone been satisfied with the heat that's generated by the seat elements in the 960? I just had mine (seats) checked; they're 'performing within Volvo parameters'. But my bum doesn't get warm! Any ideas? Any 'aftermarket heating elements? I also have a Ford F150 pickup; it's heated seats get so hot I have to shut them off after about 10 minutes!

Thanks in advance, Scott

1997 960 89,xxx miles
Reply to
scott

Well the seats in my 1995 850 are great, really quick to warm up. Although unlike your Ford the thermostat kicks in before they get uncomfortably hot.

Reply to
Me

Reply to
Rob Guenther

I actually found aftermarket pads in an electronics surplus store. The OE Volvo heater is basically a resistance wire, this particular unit is a plastic pad that would replace it.

They sell for $5/pad, I think I am going to buy some to replace my faulty heaters.

Also, the 960 with only heat on the bottom, I'm pretty sure the back rest has a heater as well (regardless of what the switch shows), it is probably not working.

I took my seat out to inspect the wiring, and surely, there is a backrest heater.

hey, some 850s have rear seat heaters as well!! nice!

My friend's Hummer H2 has solid state controlled heated seats, you can adjust the temp via two switches, (momentaries), and they work quite well.

Reply to
Myron Samila

We only have bottom cushion heaters in our 960, the backs never warmed up on their own... I guess they updated their design. I really think Volvo needs to install more settings for the heat (come on.... my VW Golf has 5 settings) on the new cars I only saw two positions.

Volvo heater is

would replace it.

has a heater as

adjust the temp via

Reply to
Rob Guenther

Volvo seat heaters always had a backrest component as well as seat bottom component. I'm sure your backrest heating pads are shot.

And the Volvo seat heater design in your 960 is a lot more complicated than you think. Even though there is only 1 switch position, on/off, a temp. sensor relay mounted under the seat is designed to detect the temperature and provide the heating either continuously, or in different pulses. Thus they achieve multiple settings with only 1 switch position. _________________ Will '90 Volvo 744 GLT B230F converted to B230FB (531 Head & VX3 Cam)

Reply to
William Liao

Reply to
Rob Guenther

I rmember there being a switch inside the seat itself in my 240. it was set into the plastic thing that holds the wires, and it was dead. I replaced the switch ( looks like a watch battery) .. and they worked fine after that. maybe the 960 has something similar?

Phil

Reply to
mrhuntnpeck

There are temperature limits outside of which the heated seats do not switch on.Make sure that it is cold enough for you to use them. You cannot switch them on and expect them to heat up if the ambient temp is higher than say 10 degrees.

Cheers, Peter.

: >Thanks in advance, : >Scott : >1997 960 : >89,xxx miles : >

: :

Reply to
Peter Milnes

is it true, in order to work on the heat emiments and other parts of the heated seat feature...you have to remove the seat ... and on a 93

940...since the seats are electric it is a big pain in the a$$, and shop rates are around 2 hrs to pull seat & 2 hrs to replace..?

how hard is it to replace the actual eliments in the seat itself...? and, do thesae go bad often...or, it problems in wiring, switches, thermostats...???

my seat heater is out and it was -5 here in co the other morning.......

;-(

my ass was hatin' life....it is spoiled due to volvo bun warmers...

Reply to
~^ beancounter ~^

I have replaced the seat heater on an 89 740 and didn't think the job was too bad, allthough it might well be a different story on a 940 electric seat. I would check with a meter for continuity on the element wires first, also you could swap over the thermostat from the passenger seat.

To replace the element you would have to remove the seat and up end it on a work bench to get to the small wire clips that hold down the upholstery to the seat frame, peel back the upholstery to reveal the heater pad.

Not sure how it can take 2 hrs to pull a seat out, especially in a shop.

Steve

Reply to
Steve Rodgers

I have removed the electric driver's seat from my lamented 760 in around ten minutes flat. Undoing connectors - one minute and undoing four bolts and sliding seat out of keyways another five -7 minutes. You should have no problems with SRS devices as they are in the B pillar and work on the seat belt reel (in face-lift 760s device works on rear of seat).

Cheers, Peter.

: > Cheers, Peter. : >

10 : > : >minutes! : > : >

: > : >Thanks in advance, : > : >Scott : > : >1997 960 : > : >89,xxx miles : > : >

Reply to
Peter Milnes