is the mileage in my new S60 2.5T too low?

This is a re-post; I asked the same question in some thread and I guess it didn't get much visibility.

I seem to average just about 21 mpg in my new S60 (mostly freeway, moderate traffic). The car barely has 1000 miles on it and I know that new engines take a while till they break in and reach the stated mileage. It took about 4K miles in my other car and I think the improvement was around 15% or so. If this is any similar, 15% will barely put my freeway mileage around 24. This is still way lower than the 30 mpg I'm supposed to get. I use regular (89) gasoline, I guess using premium would improve the mileage a bit but again, it can't improve that much.

What average and freeway mileage do you S60 owners out there get? Should I be concerned and maybe take it in for testing or is this normal this early in the car's life?

J.

Reply to
John Doe

Maybe you'd have got more response if you'd written the question in English! Surely mileage is the total distance driven - like 1000 miles in your case - whereas what you're worried about is *fuel consumption*, measured in terms of distance covered per unit of fuel.

Assuming you've got a 2.5 litre engine with automatic transmission (does

*anybody* know how to drive a car with a manual transmission - and clutch pedal - your side of the Pond?), 21 miles per US gallon - which equates to just over 25 miles per proper (Imperial) gallon - doesn't sound too bad. As you suggest it will probably go up a bit when the car's properly run in.
Reply to
Bonnet Lock

You forgot the ...

Well, that's what I read , anyway

Yep. My manual transmission cars outnumber my automatics...

My 01 V70 gets 26 - 27 mpg regularly. In town a little less, on the highway a little more. I use (mostly) the premium grade of fuel - two years ago, the increase in mileage (and we all know what I'm talking about by now) more than offset the increased cost. As fuel prices go up, the difference in cost remains at $0.10 per grade, so that difference is eve less now.

Were I you, I'd sling some Premium in the car and go for a long ride, and see if it makes a difference. Having said that, 21 mpg, even on Regular, sounds a bit too high. I doubt you'll ever gett he advertised 30 mpg either, but you should be closer.

Cheers, CL

Reply to
Cheery Littlebottom

Thank you for your answer, dear sarcastic writer!

I thought I did write my previous post in English (the unit of measure known as "miles to the gallon" is usually referred to as "mileage" in the United States). Said mileage is also measured in US units, hence the conversion to the "proper" gallon doesn't help me much. I don't mean to rub it in (being European myself, I know this hurts to hear over there), but I do own three other cars, all with manual transmission (also known as "stick shift" in the US), so yes, some of us here do know how to drive a manual.

Have a better day!

J.

Reply to
John Doe