Lights on the dashboard for no reason?!

I have a '91 940 2l Turbo. It's fantastic, does everything I ask of it and is in great condition.

These last few days it's developed what I assume is a fault somewhere in the electrics and I wondered if anyone might recognise it or be able to offer an explanation/solution?

Whilst I'm driving along, for no apparent reason, four lights on the dashboard (fog, battery, ignition and handbrake) flicker on and off, sometimes dimly, sometimes brightly. Initially I feared the car was about to stall. However, the appearance of these lights doesn't seem to relate to any problem with the car running and performing as usual and it certainly isn't stalling.

Can anyone explain/help? I'd be very grateful. Please think twice about posting if your response is along the lines of an expensive repair bill

- I can't afford that right now!!

Thanks - Tim

Reply to
tands

If it makes you feel better mine (1980) does it too. Break fail and/or globe fail &/or maybe some other as it flicks so quick & seldom you can't really see. I'm pretty sure the brakes are ok. It only started when I replaced the whole panel from a wrecker and the original panel did not do it though I had checked/replaced all the globes.

Reply to
jg

I'd be guessing that these are the globes that would be on when the ignition is on but not cranking. If so, you're probably looking at a charge problem with the alternator.

My 264 does this if the engine revs are too low at idle...

Reply to
athol

I'd suspect a fault in the dimmer switch for the dashboard lights, if it affects all the lights that are controlled by that switch.

Reply to
Marvin

check the alternator belt. with the engine off, if you can turn the alternator pulley by hand its too loose. mark

Reply to
Wstndboi38