Problems with my Peugeot 306

Hi there,

I desperately need some help. I have a Peugeot 306 Meridian 1.4, S Reg and have been having huge problems that even my local garage can't fathom.

Basically when I go to start the car, turning the key from the off position to the accessory all lights, windows and other electrics work fine but when I try to switch the engine on nothing happens. The car will not start, absolutely no power at all, no electrics, nothing.

Sometimes the car will not start (no power) then suddenly for no reason it's fine and switches on.

Other times when I start the car everything switches on perfectly and the engine starts first time.

These occurrences are completely random and do not appear so be a result of certain types of weather or anything else I can think of.

The mechanic installed a new battery, told me that he checked the wiring and that there was some slight corrosion, carried out numerous auto diagnosis test which all came back fine.

There is also a problem with the alarm which when set will go off for no apparent reason, don't know if these two could maybe be connected.

As you can see I know nothing about cars and would really appreciate any feedback or advice anyone might have.

Thanking you in advance.

Matt

Reply to
Matt

Matt ( snipped-for-privacy@postmaster.co.uk) gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying :

Might be worth checking the contacts inside the ignition switch for corrosion.

Reply to
Adrian

Last one I had with those symptoms was one of the earth leads broken. Whether it started/cut out depended on entirely if the earth lead just so happened to be sitting against the gearbox or not.

Reply to
M Cuthill

Seconded. When I first read the OP I thought it sounded a bit like an intermittent earth somewhere. These aren't always related to wet weather.

I've just had a problem with the starter earth lead on a Peugeot 306. Mine is a Diesel. Seemingly there's not a lot'll stop the engine once it's started, but I ran out of hill to start it with one day on the way home from work.

My car also doesn't have an alarm, but I know many alarms are designed to sound if the battery gets disconnected. This might fit with the alarm sounding randomly.

Reply to
Douglas Payne

In article , Adrian writes

Just had that very problem on the Audi !..FWIW..

certainly sounds very much like it tho!..

Reply to
tony sayer