Mercedes Brake pads on Volvo 240?

Hello,

I was told by the previous owner of my 240 (84t) that the pads he used on the car were for Mercedes. According to him, the part is the same, but when marketed as a Mercedes part is between 1/3 to 1/2 price. Is this possible? If so, Would any of you happen to know what Mercedes series he would be referring to (190/280/300/560)?. Any experiences?

Thanks,

Greg

Reply to
Greg D

Hi

This is possible as manufacurer uses third part brake calipers.

I have a 93 44 and '93 Rover 800 Sterling, and the calipers are practically the same on both cars!

Other suppliers will make pads to fit the callipers.

Have a look around at your local motor factors and you will probably come across a set of un branded identical pads even cheaper than the merc ones

Reply to
vertuas

Dimensionally the pads for the Volvo rear ATE calipers (240/700/900/850/S/V70) and those used on older Mercedes are the same, so there's no physical problem putting pads designed for Mercedes in there. Those brake pad companies that have different pads for each application tell you it's necessary to use a different compound to balance braking with the front. Those that use the same for all applications will tell you it's not necessary. Note that Volvo uses a different compound for each series, even if all types fit all calipers. Mercedes used one set of pads across many series. And with Mercedes you need to go by body number, not number designation - for instance there are 300 series cars that could use the mentioned pads, and 300 series cars that can't. You have to go by body numbers. So the 114/115 body (e.g. 1974 240D), 123 body (1980 300D), 108/109 body (1970 280S), 116 body (1977 450SEL), 126 body (1987 420SEL), 107 body (1977 450SL, 1987

560SL) all use this pad. There's probably a couple of older ones as well that I've missed.
Reply to
Mike F

Reply to
Greg D