Mercedes ML430 Brake Pads

I have purchased two sets of Mercedes brake pads for my ML430 (year 2000) and they both squeaked horribly... So this time, I went to O'Reilly's Auto Parts and bought a set of Wagoner pads which have a lifetime warranty and are supposed to be super quiet. The front left pad screams horribly, it is not a squeak, it is a scream. I had someone check it out and he said the pad looks fine. He suggested I go back to the Mercedes pad, I just want quiet pads, any suggestions???? Are Wagoner Pads supposed to do this??? Also, someone suggested I spend more money and get a set of ceramic pads? Please help me....

Reply to
sdd

Lets face it - you are going to have a real screamer there! Have they put copper putty or paste or goo of some sort on the back of the pads when they mount them? It makes them slip quietly or something. Or it could just be that your ML430 is too old and can't take the hard use you are subjecting it to. Try dragging your feet to stop it, or let it gently run into a tree or maybe some lesser vehicles along the kerb next time you want to stop it.

mcbrue silently under the bridge in the trailer down by the river

96 S420
Reply to
mcbrue

Hi,

I have owned an ML320 and ML350. Both have had this problem.

ML320: Very bad squeal on front wheels only. Fixed by replacing pads.

ML350: Minor problem which came and went from time to time. Then suddenly it got very bad. Bit the bullet and asked for a service... M/B replaced the disks at no cost. I had to pay for the pads.

General: M/B garage told me that this is a general problem with ML disks/pads. Made worse by using acid based alloy clearers on the wheels. The new disks look totally different to my un-educated eye. Thicker and without machining marks. Watch out for rust on the set screws that hold the disk pad unit on; they will rust quickly after the nice silver/grey paint has been damaged.

HTH.

Dave

Reply to
David Wynne

It's not the pads it's how you mount them. there are lots of different "anti-squeal" products. Pick one.

Reply to
Martin Joseph