Motion sickness from 3rd row seats?

I'm currently in the market for a 240 or 740 with a third row seat, and a couple people (not Volvo owners) have cautioned me about motion sickness as a result of riding backwards. How prevalent is this? Does anyone have any horror stories? I would be putting my 5 1/2-year-old and my almost-4-year-old back there. I think they would find the view insanely fun.

Also, if anyone has one (or knows of one) in the Lafayette, IN area, or even within about 100 miles, I am extremely interested in buying it this week. Last night we drove 100 miles to look at an '82 that was in much worse shape than the guy claimed, and it didn't have the third row seat, which the guy said it had. He said he thought I was talking about the back seat. I can't think of any wagons on the planet that came without a back seat, so I'm not sure why I would ask if it had one.

Reply to
Aaron and Aimee Ness

I used to get sick in third-row rear-facing seats in mid-60's station wagons when I was a kid. Some kids are fine with it though.

That guy was just trying to unload his car. Many people with questionable integrity misrepresent their cars, just trying to get you interested.

Some people are just ignorant idiots and don't know how to judge condition, but a third row seat is pretty much a no-brainer, so I'm guessing he was just a dirt-bag wanting to get you there so he could talk you into taking that car off his hands.

Good luck! KennyH

Horsepower is cheaper than therapy.

Reply to
KHanawalt

Reply to
Rob Guenther

When I was younger (8-12 or so) I used to ride in the rear facing seat in my mom's 245, made me sick in no time but didn't bother my little brother at all. Depends on the person, but I would caution against the 3rd row seat. They're uncomfortable, suitable only for kids under 75lbs, they take up the rear storage compartment and require holes to be cut in the headliner for the seatbelts.

Reply to
James Sweet

Hi Aaron and Aimee,

A son of mine has a 740 wagon with the third row seat and their two boys loved it, until they grew out of it. A daughter has a 960 wagon and the seat was passed to her. Now she can't keep her daughter and son (7 and 4 yrs.) out of it. No instance of motion sickness.

On the other hand our elder daughter had a 260 wagon and their kids often suffered from motion sickness............ with NO THIRD SEAT!

Conclusion?..... Perhaps it depends on the kids?

Andy I.

Reply to
brackenburn

Motion sickness or not, watching the car behind you in traffic almost rear end the car, over and over, kept me from ever riding in the way back a second time.

My friend (who, lucky for me, was from the owning family) didn't see it as a problem.

Reply to
Nick Cassimatis