New owner of S60 R

I've taken the big step and replaced a VW Passat 4Motion with an S60 R. In the changeover, I have picked up 110 hp [300 for the Volvo vs. 190 for the VeeDub], plus I now have the ultra high tech semi active suspension and a fancier version of all wheel drive. With only a couple of hundred miles on the odometer, I am far from being willing to go seriously foot to the floor, but I can see the Volvo has lots more usable performance. I had to go with the automatic, since my wife does not do gear shifting, and she is liable to inherit this car in a couple of years, to replace an aging New Beetle. Most of the reviews I have been able to find on the Web state that the 6 speed manual version of the S60 R can do 0-60 in less than

5.5 seconds, but I can't get a consistent evaluation of how much acceleration the automatic model surrenders. Anyone on this group have experience or knowledge??
Reply to
Joe and Ruth Levy

I believe you lose 1 second with the automatic. I believe the torque is reduced to 245 for the automatic vs. the manual for 1st and 2nd gear, once you are in 3rd gear you have full torque again. I drove the 04 S60R and V70R a few weeks ago, great cars, only drove the manual, wished I had tried the auto. I have a rental 04 V70 2.5T AWD right now, it's great as well, very peppy for 208hp and the geartronic automatic is fun.

Reply to
Tangy

The auto model has less torque and a different spread of power to the manual one. They are both rated at 300bhp though (whether this is attainable has come in for some question amungst some people!) the manual at ~5200rpm and the auto at 6000rpm.

The auto box is right on the limit on what it can handle at this power level, and having driven one I would say its noticable- especially in the lower gears 1st and 2nd, where engine torque is limited quite considerably anyways- below the 240nm. Under brisk acceloration from rest the 1-2 and 2-3 change is quite abrupt. The best thing would be for you to test drive it.

Tim..

Reply to
Tim..

Reply to
Leiv Magne Faane

My friendly Volvo Salesman attended a "introduction day" run by Volvo at the Laguna Seca raceway in Monterey, Calif. He reported to me that they were saying that torque was restrained only for start from rest (this by the onboard computer system) and was available within the normal range once the vehicle is in motion.

Apparently normal over-the-road performance is pretty much the same, with the outstanding passing power that one would expect. The cost in power from rest is "something over" 1.5 seconds in the 0-60mph. For most of one's driving, not a problem, but when you go for the package that is to include startling performance, the manual is the only access to "full" power.

bob noble Reno, NV, USA

Reply to
Bob Noble

if you don't mind me asking...where did you rent the v70, hertz? how much $ per day is the rate?...thanx...I have been thinking about doing some newer volvo rentals...

Reply to
~^ beancounter ~^

Have you logged onto the S60R forum on

?????

Yep the rental is from Hertz, very nice car. $66+tax Canadian per day

Reply to
Tangy