New BMW owner

Hello,

I am in Saskatchewan Canada and just bought a used 2003 Z4 Roadster with a soft top. It has 28 thousand kilometers on it (15 thousand miles)and was mostly stored and driven by a middle aged couple...... It esentially is new inside and out. Has an inline 6 cylinder 3 l motor, Automatic Transmission with the "shift with no clutch feature" in Drive...lol... I am totally green to BMW as I have always owned one of the "big three" so any tips on this new girlfriend I have bought? BTW I am a very fussy "clean freak" and my previous sports car was and still is a mint tropy winning (car shows) all original '77 Corvette that I am selling to make room for this BMW. Back to the BMW...I want to take this freaking car to bed with me I am so in love with it... anything I need to know about this car? Thanks... Jim

Reply to
Jim

Jim,

I have a 2008 Z4 3.0si. It's my fourth BMW. I lease my cars so I don't have any long term experience with them but, from everything I have read and from what the dealer service people have told me, the Z4's are the most trouble-free of their cars!

That said, and having owned other rag tops in the past, I would recommend that you research proper care for the top and it's components. Grease for the hinges, silicone spray for the weatherstripping, and a good convertible top cleaner/conditioner, will save you money and headaches in the future.

Of course, normal engine service is something to never overlook.

Enjoy your car!

Dan

Reply to
D 2

"Jim" wrote

The only problem areas on BMWs (in general) are electronics and cooling systems. Never let it overheat; maintain the cooling system and replace things before they wear out, including radiator, expansion tank, etc.

You sound like you're the kind of guy that should join BMWCCA; Roundel is a great resource for enthusiast owners and people that like concours events.

FloydR

Reply to
Floyd Rogers

..... I have my very first inaugral drive in two days....a 12-14 hr round trip to a different city on business......including stopping here and there and visiting family...ugh! Thanks so much for your replies... Jim

Reply to
Jim

That's got me confused. What does it mean? Only car auto I know that changes without a clutch is the infinitely variable 'rubber band' type. ;-)

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

It's a soft top and you live in a area where "winters can be bitterly cold, with high temperatures not breaking ?17 °C (0 °F) for weeks at a time.", so I would get some electrically heated ear muffs or start looking for realistic plastic replacements now.

Reply to
R. Mark Clayton

No clutch pedal in the footwell - Doh!

Reply to
R. Mark Clayton

Err, which automatic transmission has a clutch pedal?

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Yes.. I have a heated garage for it and once that white shit starts falling from the sky the car will be parked and not winter driven, other than to be fired up a few times a month to keep seals etc. from drying out same as I do with the Corvette... I know all about winters...LOL...spent 12 years above the arctic circle...This new baby is stayin inside...:) Thanks for your input...Jim

Reply to
Jim

Actually, with the Z4's a lined top, good heater and electric rear window defroster, you'll be toasty warm. Even top down at 60oF is OK with the heat on!

I do recommend RaggTopp fabric top protectant to keep the top looking good. And if you'll be driving in below freezing weather, you'll want to replace the Bridgestone 050 tires with good winter rubber.

Enjoy.

Tom

Reply to
tom_k

I guess the closest would be a pre-selector gear box -- but I that does back to pre-WWII days and few cars I recall that were around in the 50s..

Reply to
tww1491

BMW calls theirs SMG or Sequential Manual Gearbox. Maybe you've heard of the Porsche Tiptronic?

D 2

Two problems there - a preselector isn't an auto and the pedal changes the gear.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

I'm perfectly aware of those - I was just wondering about the OP's wording since all of these have a clutch. But no clutch pedal. So no different in operation than any auto.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Are you are attacking the guy because he omitted the word "pedal"? A CVT, as you referenced, does have an internal clutch so you are wrong there.

Sigh. He called it an auto. No auto has a clutch pedal.

But only use for starting off - not gearchanges.

I was just curious as to what he meant.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Err which manual transmission doesn't, which may be the answer to the question as some manufacturer has made a box whereby as you take the manual gear stick out of gear the clutch is disengaged - so no clutch pedal.

OTOH it may just mean a "flappy paddle" gearbox.

Reply to
R. Mark Clayton

And the article you referenced is a complete load of unmitigated nonsense. It could hardly be more wrong. JM

Reply to
johnm

I know a bit about cooling from the "Old Z3" thread.

Could someone describe some of the electrical problems, particularly those relating to BMW's from, say, 1996 to 2001?

Thx, P

Puddin' Man

Common one is the heater blower final stage resistor. Aux fans too. Dunno about any other common ones.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)