New Volvo Wagons?

Hey, any of you guys have an opinion on the 2005 Volvo wagons? How about the V-50 or the XC -90? I have a C-70 convertible that has been a pretty good car. I'm looking at a Subaru or a Volvo next. Thanks and sorry if this is an old issue/question. I'm a newbie. Fred

Reply to
Spambow

The V70 or XC70 is closest to the C70.

The XC90 is a "truck" and is much larger and heavier.

The V50 is competitive with Subarus.

I would recommend the V70 AWD as the best. I have a XC70, but that is because the V70 AWD wasn't available in '01.

Reply to
Stephen M. Henning

imho...you need to test drive a v70r for the afternoon...you will be pleased.....i think...

Reply to
~^ beancounter ~^

I did test drive the V-50 and it is a rocket. Nice handling as well. I understand it shares some Mazda and Ford parts, but it does not even feel like the heavier Volvos. The wagon does not feel like a wagon, but more like a sedan. I was also looking at the VW counterparts to the V-50. I don't think I am looking at the Toyotas.

--Fred

Reply to
Spambow

The V50 is a Mazda masquerading as a Volvo. If ever want to know why some fault light is on, be prepared to pay the dealer $50.00 to do it for you. Service data is not available to Volvo owners any more.

Doug Warner

Sorry Stephen the S40/V50 (new models) is a Ford Focus based machine. The preceding S/V40 was a Mitsubishi Carisma based machine.

Cheers, Peter.

The V50 is a Mazda masquerading as a Volvo. If ever want to know why some fault light is on, be prepared to pay the dealer $50.00 to do it for you. Service data is not available to Volvo owners any more.

Peter K L Milnes

Where's my good service data on my 850? A haynes manual, ha. Independent sectionized and overpriced Volvo sectionettes?

My Hondas came with $40 GREAT shop manuals and my VWs have all had excellent Bentley manuals available.

It'd be different if I owned a 240 it seems, but don't think that the V50 started this.

Reply to
Franz Bestuchev

That assumes that every car built on the same platform is the same. They are not. There are big differences. Even the size is different.

The power plants are different. The suspension systems are different. The drive systems are different. The quality of steel in the chassis is different.

99% of the car is different.

The S80 and XC70 are built on the same platform. They are very different. Extremely different.

Reply to
Stephen M. Henning

Tested V50 as a possibility to replace my year old V70 T5, as the family is too good at spending my money.

V50 T5 fwd compare to 2004 V70 T5 fwd:

Pro V50:

Steering lock (the V70 has ***k all), Easier to park than V70 (steering lock & size), Bit cheaper, Interior with B&O style console & natty graphics, Fuel economy probably better. May depreciate less than Titanic-style price dive in first year owning V70 (only time will tell).

Con V50:

V50 T5 does not feel as fast as V70 T5, Chassis feel less refined than V70 (bit bouncier, less happy with bumpy roads, steering less precise)., Interior overall not as classy as V70 Mid-sized car feel instead of V70 big car feel allround, More cramped when all the family junk is put in car, Brakes feel 'wooden' (may have just been the one I drove), Interior with B&O style console & natty graphics, V50 target market is close to where Ford, Toyota, Honda, etc are at. Only serious competitor to V70 are Merc estates & the upper end Audi estates.

Sounds like I've really trashed the V50! Overall I did think it was quite a good car. In contrast I had a 1.8 S40 courtesy car recently & I despised every single bit of it. If you really don't need something as big as a V70 then it is cheaper, etc. Given that it is new out, it may be worth waiting a year or so to see how reliable it is & how popular they remain (thus you don't end up with a 'lemon').

Last note:- The V70 tends to provoke reaction in most people, not just car enthusiasts. They tend to either admire it or are slightly envious. I don't imagine I'd get the same reaction with a V50.

Reply to
Andrew Potter

what's the difference between the v70 & v50?

Reply to
~^ beancounter ~^

V70 mk1 was 850 based, V70 mk2 is S60 based, V50 is Ford Focus based and is the latest arrival on the Volvo scene. In short the V50 is smaller than the V70.

Cheers, Peter.

Reply to
Peter K L Milnes

They are both wagons. Other than that they have very little in common. The v70 is based on the S60 and the V50 is based on the S40.

The V70 is essentially a wagon version of the S60. It's spacious and useful, with large, comfortable seats. The front passenger's seatback can fold to accommodate extra-long loads. The turbocharged 2.5-liter engine is quick. But with all-wheel drive, both acceleration and fuel economy suffer. The unintuitive audio system has been improved for 2005. The XC70 model has all-wheel drive and a raised ride height. Its ride is less comfortable than the regular V70's, and the steering feels vague and imprecise. Reliability has been average. A very quick 300-hp, all-wheel-drive R version tops the range. Length, in. 186 Width, in. 73 Wheelbase, in. 109 Curb weight, lb. 3,815 Percent weight, front/rear 54/46 Typical towing ability, lb. 3,300

The V50 wagon is small but versatile inside. The V50 wagon is significantly improved over the original, sharing mechanical components with the Mazda3 and European Ford Focus. The car corners fairly nimbly, but the ride is stiff. The standard 168-hp, 2.4-liter, five-cylinder engine sounds raspy. A stronger, turbocharged 218-hp engine powers the T5. Although externally smaller than the old model, the new one is roomier inside. The driver's seat, driving position, and visibility are all good, but the rear seat is very tight. All-wheel drive is available. Length, in. 176 (10 inches shorter) Width, in. 70 (3 inches narrower) Wheelbase, in. 104 (5 inches shorter) Curb weight, lb. 3,245 (570 pounds lighter) Percent weight, front/rear 60/40 (less balanced) Typical towing ability, lb. 2,000 (1,300# less)

Reply to
Stephen M. Henning

Having had a 1997 S40 (classic), I wanted an estate and eagerly awaited the V50. Went to have a look at the dealers, I think "appalled" probably sums up my reaction pretty well.

The 2.0D engine is clearly very powerful, in common with the jaguar x-type and the ford mondeo (volvo now being part of the ford group). I wonder what else has been borrowed from the ford group? The V50 does not feel well screwed together, the doors give me the same shuddering sensation as when I close the boot on my friend's skoda octavia - and I'm scared of bending it!!

Anyhow, bought a 2nd hand V70 (pre ford involvement) and very happy.

2.5TDi eng>
Reply to
Chris Shaw

cool ... thanx everyone for the info..... both wagons sound nice....

Reply to
~^ beancounter ~^

Thanks for the feedback. Maybe I will look at a Honda CRV, Pilot or the TOyota 4-Runner as well. I have heard some reports that Ford's involvement with Volvo was a good marriage as opposed to their union with Mazda, which was not. The V-70 is too big for me. My wife has a C-70 convertible and it is a boat! Nice turbo, but still big!!

--Fred

Reply to
Spambow

Chris--This is very interesting. I think I liked the feel of the V-50 over the V-70. But, I have not had the Volvo experience a lot of you have had. To me, the V-70 I drove was nice. I don't know what to look at next. I am hearing some horror stories about Hondas too. Oh well?

--Fred

Reply to
Spambow