V70-R

So, I was getting bored of my 1st Volvo a 2004 V-70 2.4. Was looking at a XC-90 when I let it slip to the sales man I really wanted an R-car. I brought my wife back that weekend to drive the 90, since I already had. Waiting there was a 2006 V70-R, in black. Eight hours later I had a new race car! We had it over 100mph on the test drive, with me & him up front, my wife and a new sales girl holding hands in the back seat. He said he never had a customer use the parking brake on a test drive before. Not my best 180*, but pretty good for a car I'd never driven before. My past new cars had included a 2001 Dodge caravan, 1999 Dodge caravan, 1989 GTA, and a

1986 Buick Grand National. This has to be the "funnest" car I have had yet. Looks like the wife doesn't get her XC-90 till the minivan is out of warrantee, in about 3 years.

Greetings from SC, USA! MK

Reply to
MK

Great car, though certainly not the way I'd be driving one that hasn't been broken in for several thousand miles, at least not one I was planning on buying.

Reply to
James Sweet

D'uh Just realized I replied to email not the group... Been a while since I read a group, sorry.

That was just it...I wasn't planning on buying it. I thought we were going to get the XC-90, but took a test drive just for fun. It had 3.2 miles on it when I took the seat. I will keep you all updated on how it wears in...

Reply to
MK

"Drive it like you stole it!" ;-)

Congrats on the new wheels...great car indeed.

dph

Reply to
Don Hodgdon

Thanx much, This is my third new "hot rod", all black. I had a '86 Buick Grand National. When that was stolen I replaced it with a '89 Pontiac GTA. We took it easy on the car this weekend, drove from Charleston SC to Bristol TN. About 660 miles round trip, never under 70mph, had it to 125 once while my wife was sleeping. What a pleasure to drive! I am glad my wife is afraid of the 'left side' of the shifter.

So, what are you tooling around in now?

Reply to
MK

nice get...the r wagon looks and sounds great...keep us posted on your impressions......they are fast.......

Reply to
~^ beancounter ~^

Yes, it is nicely fast. Especially as I enter my mid-life crisis The only negative comments so far... It is black, looks great, for the first half-hour after a car wash. Impossible to keep clean. Still there is something about a black car... Don't know how much hotter it will be in the Dixie sun than my silver V70. Let you know in 4 months. OH, and the turning radius, just a tad tighter than that a Kenworth, with a

45 foot box. I had to make a 3 point turn in a cul-du-sac, after a Silverado made a U. Serves me right for not going in at 35 and using the 'bat-brake'. '04 V70 got almost 500 miles to the tank. This is getting barely 330. Not complaining about cost as much as fill up frequency.
Reply to
MK

I feel the same way about my 05 XC70 My 02 v70 avg was 25 mpg, Xc70 is 21 The V70 had a 21 gallon tank, 18 gallon for the XC Between the drop of mpg and the smaller tank I dropped 150 miles of range on a fill up The V70 would take 2 days for the gauge to move. The XC70 starts to move off full on the way home from work

John

Reply to
Maxima

mk...yea, black will get very hot...watch the front air dam, as i heard somewhere it is built very low (to catch the air) and you will hit, crack, and break it pulling up close to standard curbs...i guess you want to stop a bit short and warna any other drivers of this.....these r wagons dure do look nice, how do you like the interior? is it as confortable as it l@@ks?

Reply to
~^ beancounter ~^

We don't have much curbage here in SC, most curbs are bullnose rather than square. Spending time on an ambulance in NY, has me in the habit of backing into spaces when I can. I might worry when I let my wife take it to work, will have to tell her it isn't as long as her minivan, you don't need to get that close. Without a doubt one of the most comfortable cabins I have been in. Both are 8 way adjustable power seats. The heated seat feature gets used far more than we both thought it would when we moved south. Getting a little arthritis in my left hip, I joke that we got a $42,000 heating pad. I got used to steering wheel controls for the radio in my '89 GTA, missed it on every car since then. Nice to have that again. The T&T wheel got moved around a lot on our trip to Bristol. It is very easy to get comfortable in the car. It is also the best stereo I have ever owned...it has surround sound!

Reply to
MK

have you logged into the

site yet?

these are some interesting discussions on the r's over there...

Reply to
~^ beancounter ~^

I had stumbled upon it earlier, Will log in there...

Reply to
MK