no-start '93 960

Hope someone can provide some insight: 168,000 on a fairly well maintained '93 960 wagon. The check engine light has been coming on for many weeks. Codes are always long and short term fuel trim related. Runs rich. Cleaned the throttle body, replaced the O2 sensor, fixed a torn vacuum hose connector and still the check engine light comes on. Checked the plugs and compression while I was at it. Immediately after checking the compression, it ran very poorly for about 10 seconds, stalled and has not fired since. Any ideas what to try next? Thanks.

Reply to
rgarrett

Check for codes & post back

Reply to
Glenn Klein

Did you reset the codes after the O² fix? Recheck the codes fix any indicated faults then reset the codes to 1-1-1 for all code indications.

Reply to
Peter K L Milnes

Make sure that the coils were replaced on the proper plugs and that the coil harness isn't pinched anywhere.

Bob

Reply to
Robert Dietz

Before and after replacing the O2 sensor, the following faults codes would be captured with just a few minutes of driving: 231 (long-term fuel trim, part load) 511 (long-term idle air trim) 512 (short-term fuel trim). I've been fussing with these codes for many weeks and miles. The engine has been running a little rich so I suspected faulty O2 sensor. The new one did not affect the problem. Then I suspected an air leak and fixed one of those. It idled a tad smoother. Still the fault codes would keep appearing. This past attempt, the codes were cleared, plugs inspected (newish 4 prong Bosch platinums) and the compression checked (roughly even 160 lbs). It was at this point the engine would barely idle for a few seconds and has since ceased to fire. I have voltage on all six coils. All are in their correct places. I see spark on #1 and smell gas in #1. I hear the fuel pump when turning the key to the run position. I've tried resetting the fuel trims to the default by disconnecting the battery for 10 minutes. That did not help either. I hate to jump to the conclusion that the ECM or MAF sensor is damaged. I was hoping someone would recognize these symptoms and point me toward the guilty component.

Thanks, Ric

"Glenn Klein" wrote in message news: snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.net...

Reply to
rgarrett