Not an engine block heather

It might sound like a stupid question, but what do you call the thing you put in the pipe where the coolant circulates in order to warm up the whole engine?

I know about engine block heater, but all it does is warm up the oil at teh bottom of teh engine. What I want and had some 20 years ago in a 240, was the heating element inserted in the pipe leading to teh radiator.

Btw, it is for a 240 Also,any idea where I might be able to buy one of those things?

Thanks

Reply to
Someone

Do a Google Search on Engine Tank Heater

Reply to
Reed

Actually what you asked for was lower radiator hose heater not sure about 240 volt

Reply to
Reed

Are you referring to a park heater? I've never seen one stateside, but I hear they're somewhat common in Europe and normally burn Diesel to warm up the engine. Seems like a good idea really, given all the people who let their cars idle for ages in the morning to defrost.

Reply to
James Sweet

Sorry for the confusion. No, I meant an electrical heating element inserted into the coolant pipe at the bottom of the radiator.

After using my head a little bit, I figured it was called (or must be called) an engine coolant heater. Though it seems I cannot find one anywhere like what I used to have.

Reply to
Someone

: >> I know about engine block heater, but all it does is warm up the oil : >> at teh bottom of teh engine. What I want and had some 20 years ago in : >> a 240, was the heating element inserted in the pipe leading to teh : >> radiator. : >>

: >> Btw, it is for a 240 Also,any idea where I might be able to buy one : >> of those things? : >>

: >> Thanks : >

: >

: >Are you referring to a park heater? I've never seen one stateside, but I : >hear they're somewhat common in Europe and normally burn Diesel to warm : >up the engine. Seems like a good idea really, given all the people who : >let their cars idle for ages in the morning to defrost. : : Sorry for the confusion. No, I meant an electrical heating element : inserted into the coolant pipe at the bottom of the radiator. : : After using my head a little bit, I figured it was called (or must be : called) an engine coolant heater. Though it seems I cannot find one : anywhere like what I used to have.

Hi James,

Found this through Google:

"Also what's a recommended brand if one were to go this route (inline coolant heater)? Which places would stock this stuff? I tried searching online for more info about these products but came up with nothing."

"Partsource, Auto Value, NAPA, etc all stock them. They will be made by one of 2 companies, Pyroil or Temro. "

Good Luck. Andy I. (Living in the Banana Belt of BC, Canada, I can manage without that gadget......)

Reply to
Andy

Reply to
Jon Robertson

When we lived in Maine & Vermont they were often referred to as "percolators" since they were installed in the lower of the hoses and the heat would then convect upwards into the block etc.

The light bulb underneath also works but I'd also put a blanket or such over the engine (or the hood if the car is inside) to retain the heat.

Perk (:>)

J> I believe some Russians lit fires under the engine sump on the tractors ,

Reply to
Perk

In UK a firm called Kenlowe makes a heater which plugs into one of the water safety plugs between 5 & 6 cylinders on the right side of the engine. This has a connector under the bonnet (hood) which connects to the mains and just needs switching on for around 20 minutes before starting. The heater can be used to warm the interior of the car as soon as the car has started. Cheers, Peter.

Reply to
Peter K L Milnes

You can get those here too, they're called engine block heaters, which he specifically said in the subject is not what he's looking for.

Reply to
James Sweet

I think the OP was confused there- or at least his post was confusing- since engine block heaters (locally often called frost plug heaters) heat more than the oil in the oil pan. I wondered if he meant the magnetic ones that just stick on to the oil pan.

Basically, as has been pointed out in this thread, there are three main types of engine heaters:

  1. Magnetic ones that stick on to the block temporarily and are intended to be removed before driving. They heat the metal of the engine at the point of contact.

  1. Engine block heaters that replace one of the frost plugs and heat the coolant in the engine block.

  1. Tank heaters that are spliced into the radiator hose and heat the coolant.

Maybe in the latter two cases, we should be talking about "warmant" instead of coolant. ;-) IMHO the OP was looking for #3.

Reply to
Tim McNamara

In the case of type 3, we might have to differentiate between 3A and 3B. :-) You refer to the device which fits in the _radiator_ hose. I remember this from years ago. However, the gizmo to which your link points splices into the _heater_ hose. Different diameter.

cheers,

Henry

Reply to
Henry

Good point. There are several options among tank heaters. Some splice into a radiator hose, some into a heater hose and some use a tap into a frost plug.

Reply to
Tim McNamara

"Someone" schrieb im Newsbeitrag news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com...

Hose heater - that´s what they call it on the swedish company Calix´s website, they do also have it in UK English.

When I lived in northern Finland, in one of my cars, which did not have a block heating possibility, I put in one of these. Worked fine. I could plug it in on the parking area at work and at home, so low temps were never a problem. Franz47

Reply to
franz47