OBD-II Code readers

Much as I like the folks at ipd, their prices tend to be a bit extreme on some items. Their OBD-II reader/resetter at $US179 is fine, but you can find it at your local chain store (Pep Boys, Kragen, etc.) for a regular price of $US129 - on sale this past weekend, for instance, at $US99.

bob noble Reno, NV, USA

Reply to
Bob Noble

I noticed the same thing. Will an OBD-II reader work on a '96 850?

Seems like the was a bit of controversy in that regard.

Reply to
Steve

Bear in mind it didn't work on mine because it;s a UK spec model and for some bizarre reason, though they fitted a socket and ,arket it OBD-II they didn't implement the standard.....

Reply to
LaoFuZhi

Hi, Steve - - -

About three weeks ago was my first time for the annual smog check with no more testing equipment than plugging into the OBD-II socket. Of course, I had to query the smog-check folks about this development.

Allegedly, *all* makes and models from '96 onwards (at least as sold in the U.S.) do have full computer access via the OBD-II connector. The only problem is in decoding the "manufacturer specific" codes - which is being addressed by our "friends" in Washington even as we speak. This is one time that the interests of a special interest group (auto shops) are such that you and I may benefit, too. If Volvo continues their history of "cooperation" in this area, the codes will be available at $$$!!!

Interesting comparison, my son drives a '95 Subaru that my wife had for a time. I had bought the factory shop manuals for just over $US200 - three 2.5" binders' worth of general and specific information. When I checked out a code for him, the Subaru manual listed both the results obtained in using their proprietary test gear *and* the more common tabular listing.

bob noble Reno, NV, USA

Reply to
Bob Noble

Check under your hood for the emmissions tag. It should say OBDII compatible. (All vehicles 96 and up were supposed to be).

I just bought a Innova 3100. It's one of the more popular ones and retails around $129, but I bought it new in the box on EBAY for $123 delivered.

I'm also contemplating a service light and SRS reset tool for my 01 V70 2.4T I've found them for around $194 at a couple places. We all know that would only be 2-3 trips to the dealer for resets!!!

Cheers from snow covered Southern Maine (4 more inches today)

Reply to
D. K. Lockhart, Jr.

Try this link. This software will reset the service light on a 96 850, as well as reading / reseting codes

Mike

Mike,

You're right, but Alex Pepper's OBD-2 will only reset service lights on

95-97's. I just wrote him inquiring on my 01 V70. and he's not able to do that. Here's a copy of the reply he sent me for those interested.

----- Original Message ----- From: Car Code Sent: Thursday, February 19, 2004 11:10 PM Subject: Re: Reset maintnance interval lights on 2001 Volvo V70 2.4T

Presently service interval light for 95-97. Near future computer systems on ISO data bus year 99+ trouble codes only. Alex Peper Car Code

D. K. Lockhart, Jr.

Some confusion here. The '96-'98's were the only ones requiring the tool (I've used one for several years with no problem). You should fall into the category of multiple on-off cycles of the ignition switch. Volvo got the word from their Dealers that having a grease monkey fool with electric goodies was not within the scope of his job description.

bob noble Reno, NV, USA

P.S. The "Innova" is, indeed, the unit sold by ipd and the various chain stores for reading codes.

Reply to
Bob Noble

Bob,

I don't quite think Volvo completely understood "that having a grease monkey fool with electric goodies was not within the scope of his job description." On the 01's and up all remotes require progrmaming, I'm also installing driving lights which my 01 V70 2.4T is pre-wired for, but it will then need to be programmed for them to function. Anything that funnels through the computer system needs to be programmed in if anything changes. I can, however reset my own service light by holding the trip meter down for 10 seconds after turning on the ignition and then releasing it once the service light starts flashing (don't actually start the car). So at least I don't have to go see them every 7500 miles! Which is good since I use synthetic and it would really grate on me to have to see them when I don't need service and do my own regular services.

The programming for the driving lights I thought was a bit much, but they said it was so the computer would know the new drain on the electrical system was legit. So even thought I bought the OEM factory light kit through an internet discounter at about 50% of local dealer cost, they stiull found a way (the dealer) to reach into my pocket.... again. Keys are another whole issue... $86 for a new one, and all your keys must be present when the new one is programmed (same as remotes). Ugh... I wonder if this is the Ford influence creeping in? When we had a Windstar, Ford did an outstanding job of monitoring my wallet.

Don with lighter wallet in Southern Maine

01 V70 2.4T 96 850

Reply to
D. K. Lockhart, Jr.