Opinions on 1987 Volvo 760 Turbo?

I have the opportunity to buy a 1987 760 Turbo with 212,000 miles for $1500. I've been driving the car around for a couple of days and haven't found any major problems. It needs a new tailpipe and a brake job, the dome light has come loose and is hanging down, and the rear power windows and parts of the power seat don't work.

I did notice last night, when I drove it to supper, that the headlights at first wouldn't come on. Fiddling with them finally got them back on, but the speedometer shot up as high as 60 mph and the odometer started turning -- in park. When I started driving, everything seemed to settle down and behave as expected, and there were no problems on the return trip. So I guess I'll have a bit of wiring trouble to track down.

The current owner is my boss (it was his wife's car originally) so I happen to know that it's been taken good care of. It's had only premium gasoline, regular service, bi-weekly detailing, etc. all its life. It has mostly sat idle for the last year or two, though it does get driven about once a month on average as a back-up car or on loan to a friend.

All in all, I'm inclined to buy it, but I thought I'd better post here first and see if anyone knew of any common problems with this model that I should check into before I fork over the cash. This would be my first Volvo after many, many years of Hondas.

Advice?

Thanks, Donn

Reply to
Donn Smith

"Donn Smith" skrev i melding news:8gdlb.8734$ snipped-for-privacy@newsread1.news.atl.earthlink.net...

You didn't mension rust. Have you checked the floor? If you check underneath the front carpets, you might find rust. If you find rust here, it could be the front window is leaking, and water could also have messed up the electrics. Also check the lowest parts of the trunk.

- Jan Rune Bjorkelo -

Reply to
Jan Rune Bjørkelo

Reply to
Joe T

Check the engine wiring harness, '87 was one of the years that had the biodegradable insulation. It's a $180 4 hour do it yourself with a good used replacement harness or $600+ dealer job. Dave Shannon snipped-for-privacy@cox.net (Spring Valley CA)

1988 240 DL 19X,XXX 1984 245 DL 20X,XXX 1984 245T 19X,XXX '01 Jeep Wrangler Sahara 14K
Dave Shannon

Thanks, Joe.

Reply to
Donn Smith

Thanks, Jan. I checked this morning and found (happily) no rust anywhere.

Reply to
Donn Smith

Thanks. I'll check into this. I'm pretty much resigned to having to do some extensive rewiring, anyway.

Reply to
Donn Smith

The crazy speedo/odometer suggests a problem inside the instrumentation. The speedometer is electronic and operates on pulses from a sensor at the differential. In order for it to show 60 mph while parked, something would either have to generate pulses into it, or there is an internal problem. I dont know if a poor connection (fuse with oxide or so) could trick the speedometer.

The fuses are in the center console. Remove the ash tray to get to them. I would start by checking them. Pull one at a time and make sure they look nice, clean and free from oxidation. Our 940 never had trouble with fuses. 740/940 have the fuse box in a dry place, while 240's have it at the left front door where (in cold climates) you easily get condensation and in worst case leaking water from the windshield. I have seen the difference!

Reply to
Gunnar Eikman

"Gunnar Eikman" skrev i melding news:QHAlb.34468$ snipped-for-privacy@newsc.telia.net...

Indeed! I have a 240, and my fusebox is often wet from rain. Sometimes the wipers won't work, and to fix that I'll have to pull out the fuses and clean them from oxidation. :(

- Jan Rune Bjorkelo -

Reply to
Jan Rune Bjørkelo