Overdrive Proof on 240

If all parts of the overdrive system are working, solenoid, switch in shifter, relay, whatever else there is, how do you know if you are in overdrive.

88 and 85 240 with auto trans. Light stays off unless switch is activated. I feel gears shift from 1st to 2nd to 3rd, but thats it. Should I feel overdrive kick in like a gear shift, somewhere in the 50 mph or above range. If I'm doing 60 mph and I'm in overdrive, and I hit the O/D switch in shifter, will I down shift to 3rd, prooving that I was in overdrive. If I'm not in overdrive and I'm doing 55mph and I hit the switch, will I down shift to second, or will there be no change in engine/tranny, because I'm already in 3rd.
Reply to
jacktheboy

Look at the tach while at highway speed.

Then try to engage overdrive; if it works, there will be a mild jolt as it kicks in, and the rpm's will drop, noticeably.

When you disengage overdrive, there will be another mild jolt and the rpm's will increase noticeably.

Reply to
zencraps

OD is on by default when you start the car. If you don't touch the button (assuming OD works) you will be in overdrive.

If you start the car, shift to drive (don't touch any buttons!)and go you will feel the car go through 2nd, Drive, and then into OD around 40 (mellow cruse, flat road.) If you're standing on it, it won't go into OD until you back off a little or get to ~55-60.

If you are in drive (and overdrive) at 60mph and you punch the OD button, you will feel substantial deceleration. Be careful you don't spill your soda!

It will feel like you went into '4th' gear... Engine rpm will drop.

Reply to
Clay