Shift lock problem

I have a 2002 Maxima, Auto trans.. Even with the brake depressed I cannot shift out of Park without depressing the manual shift lock release switch at the base of the shifter. I broght it to a Nissan dealer and they siad the shfit has a internal failure and need to replace a whole shifte ( part cost is about $300). They replaced with a whole new shift assembly, but the problem is not fixed ( the same exact problem as before). They claimed that the new part is a bad one and ordered another new part. However, the problem still wasn't fixed. I don't think they even know the root cause . My car is still at the dealer. Any recommendations or sugguestions are appreciated.

Thanks,

Tao

Reply to
tao

Do your brake lights work?

Reply to
JimV

As I read the workshop manual, it says two conditions must be met before you can move the shifter:

1) The ignition key must be inserted and turned to "ON" AND 2) The brake pedal must be depressed (stop light switch activated)

According to your report when you do both 1) and 2) you cannot move the shifter.

Easiest thing to check is 2). When you depress the brake pedal it closes a circuit in the "stop lamp switch" which sends a signal to allow the shifter to move (as well as turn stop lights on). Remove both connectors from the stop lamp switch and attach a multimeter set to measure resistance. When you depress the brake pedal it should read

0 ohms (short circuit), when you take your foot off the pedal it should be infinite ohms (open circuit)

If the stop lamp switch is OK, then other possibilities are:

1) Ignition switch is faulty (doesn't send the correct signal to key lock solenoid). 2) Key lock solenoid is faulty. This device should also prevent you from removing the key from the ignition unless shifter is in park. 3) A device labelled A/T Device. This device houses: a) "detent key switch" (manual shifter release) b) Shift lock solenoid (operates the shift lock c) Illumination lamp 4) Shift lock control unit, which you say the dealer has replaced

The workshop manual has a fairly simple fault tracing routine which dealer should be able execute, hopefully.

Al Moodie.

Reply to
Al Moodie