Oxygen sensor

Does anyone know of a way to clean out an oxygen sensor? They are rather expensive to replace.

Reply to
Jeff Sloan

Which model Volvo? Many can be replaced with Bosch "generic" parts for a fraction of dealer prices, the only difference being the connector (if you don't mind cutting and crimping a wire or 4).

Bill

Reply to
Bill Bradley

I have had limited success with a hot propane torch followed by my ultra sonic bath- you've nothing to loose. If the working end of the sensor has suffered from:

a) antifreeze (failed headgasket) b) prolonged exposure to over rich mixture, or raw fuel (from a misfire) c) lead (from leaded petrol used in error) d) silicone (silicone sealer-again from use during engine work) e) excess combustion of oil (rings, head gasket failed etc)

then you're wasting your time. If you bugger the cat through running for a while with a failed o2 sensor then its even more costly.

Tim..

Reply to
Tim (Remove NOSPAM.

There's nothing about doing that in my Haynes manual.

Reply to
Stewart Hargrave

I have a 94 850T. I tried brake cleaner and a wire brush. Didn't work. I went with the generic sensors. BIG savings there. Thanks for the suggestion!

Reply to
Jeff Sloan