760 tows like a charm...

I wasn't sure how well my '87 760GLE would tow my trailer.

I purchased a Draw Tite hitch asembly that easily bolted up to the existing weld nuts with the supplied hardware. The only thing you must do is trim the rear valence, the hitch hides nicely below the bumper and comes with a correct height draw bar. I installed it myself and torqued to spec, the weld nuts had to be chased, the threads were full of undercoating, but otherwise, rust-free.

I did install a circuit protector for the trailer lights, it easily connected to the OE harness and I already had a power wire in the back (constant power) for my sound system. This prevents the light out sensor from getting damaged, these units typically sell for $65-99 Cnd, the $65 unit works fine (from Canadian Tire), it can handle most requirements for small trailers unless you have many lights on it.

With a full load of tools, my 1500lb dual axle car trailer, my 1500lb race car, jack, spare tires, and other equipment, the car only sagged a bit in the rear (I don't have Nivomats, they are KYB replacements and 740GL springs from a sedan).

I'm just so happy with this tow package that I'd thought I'd share my excellent towing experience. I travelled a distance of 2 hours (210km each way), and drove around

100-110km/h (60mph) and actually got decent fuel mileage. I only with this was a wagon! I used to have a full size van to do this job, turns out, most Volvos can tow 3300 pounds!

Here is a pic:

I turned better fuel mileage than my friend's Hummer H2 that was also towing a similar setup, ;). That B280F rocks! (255,000kms and running strong)

Reply to
Jfet

That's a pretty nice setup you've got going there.... I've got a shot of our old 740GLE 16-Valve towing our brand new (in 1991) Coleman trailer - the nivomat's keeping the wagon straight and true, she looked ready to roll - with big extension mirrors sticking almost a foot out from either side of the rig ;-).

Reply to
Rob Guenther