Petrol smell in water res 740 Volvo

I have what appears to be a smell of petrol in the radiator water reservoir. I took the top off the reservoir to top the water up, I put my nose by the res what for I do not know to smell petrol. The smell if definitely petrol and coming form the res, what problem do I have.

Reply to
noreply

On further inspection by a number of others noses it may be that the smell is of exhaust fumes in the reservoir.

Reply to
noreply

Perhaps a head gasket?

Reply to
Steve n Holly

I have done a search and found that exhaust fumes can get in to the cooling. I have also noticed that the radiator hoses seems to be possibly under great pressure, would this also be a sign of a blown gasket.

If the gasket is gone can I still use the car as I cant get it fixed now before Christmas.

Reply to
noreply

That pretty well confirms it.

At this stage, assuming the leak has not developed catastrophically, you can still use the car, but loosen the cooling system cap so that pressure will not build up. This won't do anything for the efficiency of the engine, but it will save you blowing a hose and dumping the coolant, leaving you stranded. Expect to loose coolant like this, so keep an eye on it, and be gentle with it.

If you are doing the work yourself, the gasket change is fairly straight forward, but you do need to get the head checked for flatness or other damage, getting it skimmed if necessary. Yellow Pages should turn up a local workshop that can do all this for about 30 - 40 quid.

While you are at it, take the oportunity to change the timing belt, and its tensioner if it is more than a couple of years old or feeling rough. Some people would recommend changing the water pump at the same time.

Reply to
Stewart Hargrave

You will have to use public transport till it is fixed or you will render it non fixable permanently.

Cheers, Peter.

Reply to
Peter K L Milnes