Q: modern Volvo engines with balance shafts

Dear readers,

can anyone tell me if the new Volvo engines:

B5244S2 In-line 5 cyl., naturally aspirated 2435 cm³

D5244T In-line 5-cyl. turbo diesel 2401 cm³

B5204T5 In-line 5-cyl., light pressure turbo 1984 cm³

B4164S2 In-line 4 cyl. naturally aspirated 1587 cm³

have mass balancing mechanism and how they are built. Does Volvo built mass balancer assemblies by itself or does buy them from suppliers like Magna Steyr, Mitec etc?

Thanks, Regards

Thomas Reichel

Reply to
Thomas Reichel

The only Volvo engine with balance shafts was the iron block 16 valve used in the 700 and 900 series in the late 80s and early 90s. As for who built the shafts, I don't know, but I can tell you the belt that drove them was virtually identical to the belt used on the balance shaft equipped Porsche 4 cylinder.

Reply to
Mike F

In the above list, only the D5 (5 cyl TDCI(!) 2.4litre) engine uses a balancer shaft in the sump driven by the cam belt.

Tiim..

Reply to
Tim..

Dear Tim,

thank you for your answer.

Do you have a link or literature for me to look for more details about the balancer assembly in the Diesel engine?

To get some some information about that feature is really hard to get not only at recent Volvo engines?

All the best

Thomas

Tim.. schrieb:

Reply to