Renault/Volvo engines

Need some info... The 1400cc engine as fitted to Volvo 340s was a Renault engine. I know that much. Is it essentially the same engine that you found in Renault 5s? I'd assume the mounts would be different, but could they be easily swapped over, so a R5 engne could be put in a 340?

No one seem to want the Volvo (gawd knows why), so if it isnt sold by the end of this week i may turn it into a project car.... A 1.4/1.7 turbo lump seems to be the order of the day :)

Reply to
Carl Gibbs

Well, yes and no. I beleive they are the same basic lump, but theres gonna be drive train issues isn't there - FWD and RWD? The 1.4T would rock :) It weighs sod all, squeeze it to 200bhp :D

Reply to
Dan405

No there wouldnt be, because the drivetrain is already there in the 340 which is why i'm asking if the engine are the same - if the blocks are the same they should all match up (fingers crossed). It would probably last about 30 mins before the propshaft broke, but it would be funny.

Current thinking is a R5 GTT lump, rebuilt before going in, mated (hopefully) with the gearbox and prop from a 1.7 340 (i think they're a bit stronger), or maybe from a 2.0 if its just a case of adding an adapter plate. A decent set of dampers, uprated front brakes (i think audi 80 brakes are compatible), some bigger wheels and as much of the interior removed as is possible, no exterior mods, even the rusty, faded bonnet can stay = mentalist sleeper. Oh, and it would need a BFO dump valve as well PTTTSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSHHHHHHH.

Of course, i'm hoping i sell it (need money), but if i dont then the above seems the only sensible option :)

Feel free to add any other suggestions that will keep me entertained on a boring monday night!

Reply to
Carl Gibbs

PTTTSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSHHHHHHH.

I'm pretty sure that a while ago in uk.rec.cars.maintenance someone spoke about using the Volvo gearbox as a replacement for the box in the R5 turbo or some such. Try having a google...

Reply to
Doki

hmmmm, well the 340's gearbox is located under the rear seats, not the sort of setup you see in a R5, so not sure how that would work, but i will have a look anyway. Cheers

Reply to
Carl Gibbs

Thats the clutch mate......... The Ovlovs RWD the 5's FWD......

Reply to
**-**

I've a an uprated 480t clutch for mine

Reply to
Chet

PTTTSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSHHHHHHH.

Errrr

Dial in say 200bhp?

You can keep your crap engine too? (I would have done this already anyway!)

Reply to
Burgerman

That's the one. I know about the FWD / RWDness of them both.

The post is here, but it's about the 440 (fwd?)

Doki

My intended home for the Ovlov has fallen through, so now i've got nowhere to store it :( So looks like it'll be going to the scrappie if i cant shift it in the next few days which is a shame as its a decent little car :( So if anyone wants a car, and is willing to pay a wee bit of cash (£30?) then its yours.

Reply to
Carl Gibbs

Has it got any MOT on it? What's the condition like overall (mainly concerned with rust)? A bloke at work is looking for a cheap car and would consider anything that's fairly cheap on insurance and isn't a complete heap.

Peter

Reply to
AstraVanMan