RADIATOR

My all metal radiator I was boasting about leaked .The solder was minimal so the brass lifted away .I was amazed how little solder there was holding it together .So maybe the plastic Volvo OEM is not so bad as long as it doesn't burst .

Reply to
Jon Robertson

after market parts are highly variable, but, in this case, the oem part has a catastrofic fault, the possibilty of castastrofic failure. when mine failed i was My all metal radiator I was boasting about leaked .The solder was minimal so

Reply to
Richard W Langbauer

NO WE USE THE TERM SOLDER AS THAT IS WHAT IT WAS ,HEAVY SOLDER.If I meant brazed I would have said so .No I am not a commie as such a peoples never existed they were just extreme capitalists .True communism only ever existed in Judaism whilst in the desert .

Reply to
Jon Robertson

i was making a joke not a political comment. my point was that it is a big continent & while i live in a Volvo ghetto much of North America has never seen one (hyperbole again). sometimes the most technically elegant solution is not the right one. there are other factors to consider, the nature & consquences of failure & the possibility of repair.

your new radiator may very well have been put together w/ "HEAVY SOLDER". i wouldn't & didn't buy such a part. it screams of small shop fabrication. the difference between soldering & brazing is temperature. brazing raises the joint temperature high enough to form a "chemical" (a wood term & not really correct) bond. this is much stronger. an industrial concern has the resources (mainly an inert gas kiln) to do this w/ fewer & lower-skill manhours.

i could actually repair an oem radiator (well not every time) but i wouldn't. the possibility of another failure (thermal cycl>NO WE USE THE TERM SOLDER AS THAT IS WHAT IT WAS ,HEAVY SOLDER.If I meant

Reply to
Richard W Langbauer