Help 99 Taurus radiator dran

I give up! Can't find the radiator drain on my 99 taurus 3.0 OHV. I wonder if the lower front cowel must be removed to access the drain c*ck.

Reply to
Moses

Drain cooling system as follows:

a. If cooling system is still hot, carefully wrap a thick cloth around the pressure relief cap and rotate slowly until pressure begins to release. Step back until the pressure is released.

b. Then rotate pressure relief cap until free. Remove the pressure relief cap.

c. Raise vehicle on hoist.

d. Remove splash shield from front of front sub-frame and body.

e. Open radiator draincock and drain the coolant system.

There you go.

Rob

Reply to
trainfan1

Thanks. I already had to figure it out myself. Why the hoist? I have to get by without one.

tra>

Reply to
Moses

CYA.

Rob

Reply to
trainfan1

I am not particularly ham fisted and rarely strip out fittings. However, I have had bad luck on more than a few drain fittings on plastic radiators. They seem to either leak upon tightening or break off. Therefore, what I would do if it were my car would be to drain the radiator by disconnecting the lower radiator hose. Consider replacing it if it is the original hose, as it is 8 years old. Otherwise, just disconnect it, maybe replace the factory spring clamp with an aftermarket screw type and leave the drain c*ck alone. Steve

Reply to
LASOP/Georgia or Steve

I have had bad luck on some drain fittings on plastic radiators. They can either leak upon tightening or break off. I would drain the radiator by disconnecting the lower radiator hose. (replace it if it is the original 8 year old hose). Maybe replace the factory spring clamp with an aftermarket screw type and leave the drain c*ck alone. ___________________________________________________

Be careful tightening a screw clamp. Those flimsy plastic tubes can shatter if they are tightened as much as is safe on a brass radiator. Don't ask me how I know.

Good luck.

Rodan.

Reply to
Rodan