Replacing my 760 with something "newerish"

Hi all,

I've been toying with the idea of getting a replacement for my ageing '87

760. It runs well, still quite rust free (the rockers and doors are mint, the only thing that is rusting is the roof!!!).

I've considered buying a newer Volvo. I like the 960/V90 Wagon, but I want a car that's manual this time!! No more autos.

I like the (although kinda boring) styling of the V40, and LOVE the V50/S40!!! (I'd like either one of the new 40 series cars!! hot! :)

How are the S40/V40 (early 40s)? Fun to drive? Easy to live with? Easy on fuel? (turbo gasoline). I guess they require premium fuel because all the ones I've seen are turbocharged.

I'm not really a fan of FWD, but if I have to, I'll live with it. Did I mention I love the stylinbg of the new 40 series cars?!?! ;)

Reply to
M.R.S.

I met a guy not too long ago with a V70-R wagon which was a 5 speed manual. If you're looking for a newer Volvo and want a stick, you should check out one of those, it was a sweet car.

Reply to
James Sweet

Volvo's geartronic system used on the new S40, V50 (and upcoming C30) gives the best of both worlds - at least I think so.

AC

Reply to
Aawara Chowdhury

Bah, that's just an automatic that can be manually shifted. Has the complexity, weight and torque converter mush of an auto with further complexity of the manual shifting stuff, worst of both worlds IMO.

Reply to
James Sweet

AC

Reply to
Aawara Chowdhury

How about a 940? I'm not sure if Volvo offered it in the US with a manual tranny though.

IMO these vehicles are much less likely to give you the kind of long term durability your 760 has delivered.

John

Reply to
John Horner

To each there own, but the so called auto-manuals I have driven are all jokes. What is the point of a pseudo-manual transmission. You still have the mush and energy loss of the torque converter.

Drive what you like, but every manual shift automatic I have tried has been best simply left in automatic mode. I doubt that 1 in 100 of the people who own such vehicles ever bother to "manually" select gears once the initial novelty wears off.

John

Reply to
John Horner

Nope, that's why I didn't mention the 940. It is possible to convert one though, should be doable with parts from a manual 740 though the manual

940s in Europe got the nicer M90 transmission.

I'm not convinced of this. I prefer the older RWD cars but FWD Volvos have been around for a while now and I've personally seen 850s with nearly 300K on them, that's doing pretty well IMO. They're more complex but still well made cars.

Reply to
James Sweet

I've driven many cars with "tip-tronic, shift-tronic, gear-tronic, selec-tronic, sele-speed", whatever you call it... it's pretty lame.

I've raced cars (GT racing) for 8 years, and well... yeah, manual is MANUAL (unless it's a sequential up/down selector setup, you can still "miss a shift with it, or pick the wrong gear!!).

If I had that feature, I'd never ever use it, ever. Heck, I wonder why cars have the PRNDL12 anyhow... just have PRND!! period.

I don't mind the 2001-2004 S40s, they look "ok".. I don't know how good they are (reliability wise).

I CAN tell you, man... my 760 has been awesome from day 1! It was bought new by us, and passed down in our family. It's now 19 years old, B280F, never had a valve adjustment, original rad and hoses! (yeah, ticking time bomb, I know).

Anyhow, I think the new cars are probably built quite well. I haven't seen any rusty 850s around!! I'm also seeing a lot of 850s with SUPER high mileage. I don't want an 850/S70/V70 though.. not really lovin' that car.

Otherwise, I might opt for a 960/V90 Wagon with auto.. use it as my tow vehicle for my race car. (I do it with my 760! )

Cheers

Reply to
M.R.S.

Only one, and after a few minutes I just stuck it in auto mode. I love manual gearboxes, but I just couldn't see the point of the manually shifted auto, whatever Audi calls theirs. Once you have the complexity, weight, and torque converter lag of an automatic transmission, what's the point of shifting it yourself?

Reply to
James Sweet

James...have you driven in any of the "R" wagons yet?....If so, what were your impressions?...thanx....

Reply to
~^ beancounter ~^

I wish.. I've been in one of them but I didn't think it'd be appropriate to ask the guy if I could drive it.

Reply to
James Sweet

Is it only the stickshift you're after? Or is it also the RWD? Me myself, being a Volvo owner for decades have always had the wagons, 145, 245, 265, 965, will get either a Mercedes or BMW next time, since i *hate* FWD in wintery conditions. With RWD one can at leat control the skids and slides a bit.

/ Johan

Reply to
Johan Plane

However, Audi/VW does have a manumatic, dual clutch transmission. It has a unique system, no torque converter. Acts JUST like a manual (internally), but it is all shifted electronically with syncros and forks!! But it's automatic!

Reply to
M.R.S.