Retorquing my lugnuts

After my regular 45k service on the 2000 Volvo XC they said I'm due for new tires. So I swing by NTB and put a new set on. They nonchalantly say "You need to swing back by your dealer and get your lugnuts retorqued. You don't even need an appointment, it takes two seconds." Well, wrong -- the dealer's all "Nope, you need an appointment." I'm not in the mood to have my car in for service 3 days in one week, I do actually use the thing after all.

A friend with a torque wrench says he can do it for me if I know the specs. Anybody know where I get those?

Duane

Reply to
Duane Morin

Ask the dealer, or a tire place, but the dealer would be more reliable. 700 series is 63 ft lbs, that'd be a good starting point.

Reply to
James Sweet

I find that a tire shop won't/can't torque wheels almost unbelievable! Tightening torque is specified as 110 Nm, which is just over 80 foot-pounds.

Reply to
Mike F

Shops often use "torque sticks" which is an rod with a socket on each end. They can be used with an impact wrench. Each stork stick has a different torque range. Mt garage used a 75 ft/lb for my vehicle. I also have a torque wrench at home. eddie

Reply to
Edward Hayes

My guess is that the shop I went to was more into the speed of getting me out of there and probably found historically that taking the time to properly torque wheels wasn't valuable enough to them. Especially given his explanation that the dealr could do it in two seconds if I just swing by.

What i'm annoyed at is the dealer telling me that even the smallest visit requires an appointment.

Thanks for the spec!

Duane

Reply to
Duane Morin

Yes, but part of the job of changing tires is putting the wheels back on. Part of putting the wheels back on is torquing the lug nuts/bolts. I'm not normally one to defend Volvo dealers, but if I was the service manager at the dealer you took your car to, I wouldn't be too happy about torquing some lugnuts.

Reply to
Mike F

Moot point. I reckon if you just drove to the dealer and said you were worried about the wheels, the manager would send someone out with a torque wrench to check. But if you phoned first, I reckon Mike is right.

Stuart

Reply to
Stuart Gray