S60: strange noise behind dash

I own a 2003 S60. It has started making a noise which seems to be coming from behind the dash. It is a subtle noise which sounds like a servo motor (almost the same sound as adjusting the rear view mirror when it it reaches its limit). The noise is randomly intermitant. I have not been able to link the noise to anything (ie. AC, heater, zone, ...)

I had a mechanic ride in it today and, of course, the noise was not present. However, there may be a clue since today is much colder (by

40F) then all the previous days during which the noise was present.

Any ideas?

Thanks,

Andy

Reply to
andy

Is it like a mechanical whirring noise, that lasts for a duration of approximately 1.5-2 seconds? If it is I have noticed this only my families

1993 960.... it has always been there, I assume it is a normal noise, if it is the same thing, then its something Volvo has been using for a while now.

We never noticed it right away either, when our car was new the only unusual noise was a ticking, this was from the valves doing their adjustments as the engine was being broken in, the whirr was the second noise that was discovered. Personally I think it is something to do with the power steering.

Reply to
Rob Guenther

I own a 2001 S80 and my car makes the same noise. Having spoken about a year ago to the local dealer he said it's the climate control/air-con shuffling the air vents inside the dash to regulate air flow into the cabin.

Reply to
Freddy

Reply to
Rob Guenther

Actually, I think the noise you are likely hearing is the aspirator fan, a small fan in the face of the dash that brings cabin temperature air over the thermostat sensor.

Reply to
Spanky