Whinning Noise

I've had TONS and TONS of problems with my KIA Sportage 4x4, 2001. I'll enter a big note later.

My problem presently, (first of all I should tell you that I live an hour south of Ottawa, Ontario, Canada, and the present temperature is about -34Celcius, so it's very cold here):

I've been noticing lately that the temperature gague has been getting consistently lower. It usually hovers at 1/2 all the time (ie: half way between cold and hot, where I suspect it is supposed to be).

Tonight, I was coming home from Ottawa, and while the car was blowing "warm" air with it turned on full tilt, it never blew "hot" air. It really should! Even in this cold weather, after the car is warmed up, it should blow hot air. Well.... 3/4s of the way home, the front left side of the car started making a whinning noise. The pitch would get higher the faster I went, and get lower the slower I went. Almost sounded like something was rubbing against the front tire, but there was no "drag" to the car.

By the time I got home, the temperature gague was almost to the cold mark!!! And it was quite obviously much colder in the car as well, then when I started out.

Anyone have any ideas?

(I as so disappointed with this car, because of this problem and all the previous problems I've had, that if KIA doesn't help me clear up these problems, I don't think I'll ever buy another KIA again! If they help me however, and can provide me with a solution at their cost and with good customer service, they will likely keep me as a customer. Guess we'll have to wait and see.)

Darrell Bigelow

Reply to
Darrell Bigelow

Well... I found out what the problem was. Just another thing to add to the list of all the stuff that has gone wrong with my KIA, and it's only 3 years old.

The problem was that the clutch fan seized up. It wasn't running properly, which now it makes sense of the symptoms I was having (temp gauge running cold, not enough hot air coming inside and the whinning noise).

I was told tonight by a mechanic that I happened to meet at the gas station that I could run the car without problems the way that it is right now. But when I do get the fan changed, I can expect a bill for about $200. He said about $80 for the fan, and the rest will be labour.

Labour rates are ridiculous. All Kia shops around here charge $75 to $90 per hour.

And that's the story for now. Will still put in the big one about everything that's gone wrong, soon.

Darrell

Reply to
Darrell Bigelow

Wait before you pay that much!!! Go to a wrecking yard and get an electric fan from another import... or go to Schucks, etc and get an electric fan and retro to fit the Kia, they are about 50 bucks...watch out for a broken head gasket, you need air!!!

Reply to
onthehop

They do that. However, they should last at leat six or seven years. (Of course I've never had one in the snow.) You can get one online for about $50, and spend a couple of hours doing it yorself. You might even look into getting rid of the clutch fan and installing an electric - this'll give you instant HP, as the engine won't be turnng the fan.

Reply to
419-Buster