Shell Optimax & my 240

I put £15 worth into a nearly empty tank of my Volvo 240GL estate 2.3 carb. just to try it out after all the hype. I've always been sceptical of claims made by the various fuel companies but... bugger me! I noticed a difference! Smoother, especially picking up from low revs, more power and generally "zippier". I was impressed enough to fill up with a whole tank to see if the economy claims pan out the same...

anyone else found the same or am I finally losing my marbles?

Pharm..

Reply to
Pharmanaut

Shell or BP do make a difference BUT the cost is higher too,about 10% .The power of my 740turbo is much greater and as it pings on standard petrol or gas ,I use the 98 octane to give a bit of stick as well as synthetic oil Bp NOT shell .The range is supposed to increase by 10%as well so its an off set on price I guess .I have heard the mechanics can tell if your using optimax or Bp ultimate because the engine is cleaner inside same with Synthetic oil its much cleaner inside and runs smoother .Certainly no issues with the engine crudding up as with dino oils .Now the issue is 0-30 oil 0-40 oil or

5-50 oil which is best year round .The 0-30 seems to be a good choice for a cool engine with less friction but is it wise ?

Reply to
John Robertson

I have tried all the 'Super' or 97/98 octane petrols in the many miles I've done in my V70 T5. I found the Optimax to be one of the better types but the fuel economy was ok (27-28mpg at 60mph-fast cruise with plenty of brisk acceleration) mostly I think because it made the upper rev range so useable that I gave it more welly that with other fuels! Texaco was another good high-octane, which gave better fuel ecomony, & seemed to increase low-end power but give less top end than Optimax.

On the fuel cost issue, yes the Texaco/Shell garages charge the earth for the high octane fuels. I go to my local Sainsburys petrol station & they sell the high-octane generally for @1p/litre more than the 95 octane - & often they are the same price! Performance is on par with the Optimax & given the fact Sainsbury's don't have any oil refineries, it could well be Optimax!

Have fun,

Reply to
Andrew Potter