Should I use... ...on my new oil drain plug...?

Hello
I've purchased a Oil Temperature gauge for my 1991 Volvo 240. It came complete with sender, which seems to work when i hook it up to an ohmmeter
and apply a cigarette lighter flame to it, it changes resistance. The sender is an oil drain plug, which replaces the stock oil drain plug, with a wire that hooks up to the Oil Temperature gauge. Should I use anti-seize stuff on the threads of my new oil drain plug (sender), as it seems to be copper/brass?
Thanks for consideration, Mehmet
lucidlamp wrote:

Generally no, I've never heard of an oil drain plug siezing.

Hi James,
Thank you, I did'nt think so. I figured the metal of choice, copper/bronze, is more expensive than aluminum and other metals used throughout the engine, plus it has a good quality of conforming itself to the situation at hand (sealing itself), so to speak. Also I would think that metals using like alloys would attract (seize) easier than copper to aluminum, etc... Also the copper/bronze would have different oxidation characteristics... I guess the automotive engineers figured this out and made the oil drain plug fool proof.
Thanks again James, Mehmet
lucidlamp wrote:

Well it isn't quite fool proof, they can be stripped out or crossthreaded if you aren't careful, mostly in the clumsy hands of quickie-lube type places. Clean the threads of both the plug and the oil pan, screw it in straight and tighten it to the correct torque, I just use my "calibrated hand" for this but a torque wrench is really a wise idea.

Site Timeline