sipe the tires?

new to ice and snow, we've been advised to sipe the tires. good idea or not? does it really make a difference, on ice especially? does siping cause faster wear when no snow or ice around? many thanks. art, '97 960

Reply to
Art McGinn

Not sure about siping or snow, but on ice you're pretty well screwed either way, studs or chains are the only thing that'll do much on that.

I thought siping was mostly for high performance tires for track use?

Reply to
James Sweet

Siped tires can provide better traction on slippery surfaces, however the downside will be lower tread life and higher road noise. Because the blocks will be sliced, the car may also feel less steady, or squirmy on dry pavement.

In my experience the 960 is a well designed road car that handles well on wet and rainy conditions with a good set of all season tires. On snow it is an entirely different matter. The rear wheel drive configuration combined with the low road clearance means the car will lose traction easily, even with the optional limited slip differential. My suggestion would be to buy a set of snow tires for winter use and sipe those if needed. Don't sipe the tires that will be used in non-snow conditions that will represent 80% or more of your driving.

Reply to
Roadie

thanks for the posts. sounds like snow tires are the way to go. cheers, art

Reply to
Art McGinn