new tires !!

original tires had to be replaced so I had the opportunity to get BFG TA/KO's. 31". Wow, what a difference they make. Jeep should have been using these tires as original equipment. I thought I needed new shocks and probably front end work. It was all the tires.

big difference in how the TJ rides and handles. big. It shifts at more natural points with the 31" tires. and they look gooood! can't wait for snow and ice.

Reply to
quint

Why wait.... there is mud here now!

Reply to
billy ray

What did you take off of it?

Reply to
Kate

oem - goodyear wranglers - 42K miles and shot

Reply to
quint

I did the same not to long ago. I took off the OEM 30x9.5 Good Year Wranglers and put on 31x10.5 Mickey Thompson Baja Claw Radials. Now, all the ratios seem right. Even the speedometer is accurate -- before it read about 4 MPH too fast. I know the Rubicon comes stock with 31" tires. The "look" is much better proportioned, also. I guess DC used the same parts for more than just the Rubi's.

Reply to
Daniel Bibbens

: > big difference in how the TJ rides and handles. big. It shifts at more : > natural points with the 31" tires. and they look gooood! can't wait for : > snow and ice. : >

: : I did the same not to long ago. I took off the OEM 30x9.5 Good Year : Wranglers and put on 31x10.5 Mickey Thompson Baja Claw Radials. Now, : all the ratios seem right. Even the speedometer is accurate -- before : it read about 4 MPH too fast. I know the Rubicon comes stock with 31" : tires. The "look" is much better proportioned, also. I guess DC used : the same parts for more than just the Rubi's.

I hope to put on a 2.5" lift in the not too distant future. When I do I am completely smitten with the Yokohama 285/75/16s M/T

only concern I really have is the directional tread.So, the OTHER tire I am really looking at is the Toyo 285/75/16 M/T
look like they have strong sidewalls and great tread. Hopefully, whatever I get, they will be right cause tehy are expensive as all get out!

Kate

Reply to
Kate

The only concern I really have is the directional tread. So, the> OTHER tire I am really looking at is the Toyo 285/75/16 M/T>
They look> like they have strong sidewalls and great tread.>

The Yokohama Geolandar M/T+ looks great. Why are you concerned about the directional tread? My Baja Claw's are directional and have great traction. I looked at tractor tires before I bought and nearly all are directional (except turf tires but I don't drive my Jeep on golf courses). I understand that the directional tread pushes the mud out of the tread keeping them from getting gooped up.

Of course, I rotate my tires by driving backwards on odd days of the week. It doesn't concern me, but I do get strange looks from others.

Good tires are expensive ~ $1,000 or more for a set of 5. To me, however, it's the best performance improvement I could have made.

Reply to
Daniel Bibbens

I'm surprised they made it that far. They look pretty on the lot, but they don't work in the real world. I scuttled the OEM's for 30" Michelin LTX's as soon as I drove it off the lot. HUGE difference. Just about any tire on the market is better than Goodyear.

I did keep the OEM's, and gave them to a good friend, who put them on a

4-Runner he was selling. He upped the price by $300, and sure enough, some sucker took the bait. Same deal though: the buyer scuttled them as soon as he bought it. HA!

-JD

Reply to
JD Adams

I went from the 30 x 9.50 R 15 Goodyear's to the BFG AT 31 x 10.50 R 15 also and I was really impressed. Now I am running 33 x 12.50 R 15 BFG MT and when these were out I will go back with the BFG AT as they were a much better ride. Here are pics. Stock.

With 31's
And now.
I like the MT's but they through up way to many big rocks.

Tom

Reply to
cantrelm

Reply to
Randy B

I found the original Goodyears to be dangerously slippery when wet. I too went with the Michelin LTXs and have not looked back.... Tomes

Reply to
Tomes

Reply to
Randy B

: > I hope to put on a 2.5" lift in the not too distant future. When I : > do I am completely smitten with the Yokohama 285/75/16s M/T : >

> The only concern I really have is the directional tread. So, the: > OTHER tire I am really looking at is the Toyo 285/75/16 M/T: >
They look: > like they have strong sidewalls and great tread.: >

: > Hopefully, whatever I get, they will be right cause tehy are : > expensive as all get out! : >

: > Kate : >

: >

: : The Yokohama Geolandar M/T+ looks great. Why are you concerned about : the directional tread? My Baja Claw's are directional and have great : traction. I looked at tractor tires before I bought and nearly all are : directional (except turf tires but I don't drive my Jeep on golf : courses). I understand that the directional tread pushes the mud out : of the tread keeping them from getting gooped up. : : Of course, I rotate my tires by driving backwards on odd days of the : week. It doesn't concern me, but I do get strange looks from others. : : Good tires are expensive ~ $1,000 or more for a set of 5. To me, : however, it's the best performance improvement I could have made.

Yup, the directional tread is supposed to be amazing at keeping clean. They also have a stepped wall on the treads that help even more, My real concern with the directional, is for the spare. Which one do I get.? LOL I know that driving one a short ways on the wrong direction won't hurt it so really it's not that big of a concern I guess. The Yokos also have someother nice featureds but the TOYO has great sidewalls, making them less suceptable for damage.

I dunno... will have to wait and see.

: --

Reply to
Kate

The tires on mine tend to throw a lot of rocks, I can go for miles down the paved road and have it still doing a tap dance before it will let loose a rock.

That's how I got the dent inside my fender.

: > big difference in how the TJ rides and handles. big. It shifts at more : > natural points with the 31" tires. and they look gooood! can't wait for : > snow and ice. : >

: >

: :

Reply to
Kate

Tom,

In your pic with the 31s, did you have a lift installed? Would you reccomend something like a 2" lift with going up to 31s, or would this make it look out of proportion?

Have a slight issue with ground clearance at the moment...

Jas.

Reply to
Jason Backshall

My friend runs a 2" lift with 31's...he could fit a 32 but stayed with the

31's...it looks great! but! the lift is not needed to clear the 31's..I ran 31's on my Jeep while it was stock with only minor rubbing when fully flexed... I now run Interco (Super Swamper) TrXus MT's and they are a sweet all round tire...they work wonders on rock and the ice and snow this winter didn't bother me in the least...they have great street manners and are extremely quiet on the road...
Reply to
4X4PLAY

Yeah, I know that tap dance all to well, and when it does let lose it is like look out!.

Tom

Reply to
cantrelm

Jason, I did not have any lift on mine when I went to the 31's and the only problem I had was with the tire rubbing at full turn on the bottom of the control arms. I adjust the turn stop bolt and it did away with that problem.

Tom

Reply to
cantrelm

LOL! Yup, like it threw a shoe or something.

I'm wondering when the first time is going to be that someone pulls me over and says my Jeep threw a rock at their windshield.

: > That's how I got the dent inside my fender. : >

: >

: > : > big difference in how the TJ rides and handles. big. It shifts at : more : > : > natural points with the 31" tires. and they look gooood! can't wait : > for : > : > snow and ice. : > : >

: > : >

: >

: :

Reply to
Kate

I hear them bounce off of my side rock rails all the time and think man that would have hurt if it had come up and got me...... I got to pull over the person in front of me that broke my windshield on my Jeep as it was my wife....... Boy did I let her have it.....(LOL) I mean what do you do then when one love breaks your other love......?

Tom

Reply to
cantrelm