Spark Plugs Cross Threaded

I was planning to change the spark plugs in my 89 740 GL when I noticed one of the spark plugs was at an angle, which it meant it must be cross threaded. Does anyone have suggestions on how to remove it safely?

Reply to
eatyourpets

Removing, easy. Just take it out. Repairing the damage, not so easy. If you're very - make that VERY - lucky, you can thread the new plug in correctly and it will hold. More likely, it won't. There's a product called Helicoil that looks like a steel spring with a diamond cross-section. You tap out the old hole with a special tap, screw in the Helicoil, break off its driving section (all of this will make more sense when you actually see one) and you have a new thread. It's one of those jobs that you should try a few times on something that doesn't matter. Reaming out the old hole and starting the threading tap absolutely square is difficult. If you end up off-square, your plug won't seat properly. On the other hand, it's a pretty quick job, and your local mechanic should be able to do it cheaply enough.

Pete (fP)

Reply to
Peter Adler

Did you use bosch plugs I never was lucky with them in my fords ,always seemed to have issues ? .Motor craft ngk no issues .

Reply to
John Robertson

Hmmm, sounds like I will leave this one up to a proffessional. thanks for the advice!

Reply to
eatyourpets

Reply to
John Robertson