Unobtainium spark plugs

So, is there really a good reason to buy the iridium plugs for $20 each, rather than some other good brand of plugs?

I assume this is a question that everyone that has had their truck for

100k miles has faced. Any concensus on a decent plug?

Stephen---> well, they LOOK the same...

Reply to
Stephen

If the originals lasted 100K, why would you install anything other than original equipment parts? I would go to my dealer and buy a new set of what it came with new.

Reply to
Mark Jones

Folks that need iridium plugs are those that see significant combustion chamber pressures. That means folks with a 8.5:1 compression ration plus 22 psi of boost pressure, or some combination.

I'm running 20psi of boost on my 9:1 compression ratio motor and I'm running standard copper Autolite 103 plugs. Can't beat the price and I just narrow the gap to .035 and have no problem lighting the fire.

Reply to
Mike H

I just called the dealership and they list platinum plugs for $9 each. I put some generic platinum plugs in about 25K kms ago but I think I have always gotten a tiny bit of rattle and the occasional little pop of a backfire. Nothing shows up on my ODBII reader and I have no CEL codes.

Changing the plugs didn't change that but it is really not very often so I haven't worried about it. I wondered if maybe the platinum plugs just weren't quite right.

I am going to try the plugs from the dealer and see if anything changes.

Stephen

Reply to
Stephen

Platinum does not conduct electricity as efficiently as does copper. The use of Platinum plugs in production automobiles is strictly to increase how long you can go before you replace the plug. Platinum is stronger, and lasts longer than regular copper. You also often find platinum plugs specified in applications where access to the plugs isn't easy.

Note that Nearly All Motorcraft spark plugs are simply Autolites available at most auto parts stores via a cross reference.

Reply to
Mike H