Speedo 740 GL 1990

The speedo works all the time,but the odo and trip are intermittent. Sometimes they'll work for a couple of miles,other times a couple of hundred miles,and then sometimes they don't work at all.

Any ideas ?

Reply to
ejb

Common fault - little plastic gears in the instrument are knackered.

Andy Dingley

Here is another source for the gears:

jdunville

Do the gears still have problems on the 700's? I know the pre-'86 240's had this problem, but the later cars and all 700 series have electronic speedos, the usual problem for those is bad soldering on the circuit board.

Reply to
James Sweet

"James Sweet" wrote >

Do the gears still have problems on the 700's? I know the pre-'86 240's had

I wondered about this as when it's actually working,the 1/10 ths wheel doesn't rotate at a constant rate but seems to move in small increments,as if driven by a stepper motor. Looks like I'll have to get the dash out then,or just put up with it.

Reply to
ejb