Suggestions for mounting 240 stereo

Hey all,

Have an 88 245 DL that currently has an aftermarket cassette deck in it which has fallen back into the recession some due to the fact that it was only mounted via the trim ring on the stereo to the plastic casing around the face of the stereo.

I'm looking to put in a CD player, anyone have any experiences with this and perhaps some suggestions? I was debating sanding out the plastic face just a faint bit so the actual metal sleeve slides into it and gives a little support, but with a CD player I'd like a little more stability.

thanks for any help in advance.

Justin

Reply to
Justin G. Wood

Is it mounted up in the dash or down below? If it is down below, it's a snap to work on - as the cavity is large enough for three radios. For either you should be able to find a metal chassis for it at a junkyard.

Reply to
Joseph Oberlander

Try calling Crutchfield

They should have an installation kit to solve your problems.

Reply to
Steven Bernth

For what it's worth:

For a long time in mf 240, I just left my CD player loose in the bottom bay, where the AM/FM radio used to be. I finally got fed up with the gearshift being in the way of CDs, and cut a CD-player-sized hole in the plastic bay just above the air vents. Depending on the player and your dash, it could be a tight fit... but it's worked well for me.

Reply to
John McCormick

In my 240, my radio is in the top space for a radio, above the air vents. When I had the radio installed it was installed in a plastic housing that fits the radio perfectly in the hole so it looks like a factory installation. Those are about an extra $15 at the car stereo shop but it's worth it. I bought my '91 240 with a broken factory unit and installed an Alpine CD head unit. Works great.

--Todd

Reply to
Todd

When I bought my '86 244 (in 2001) the local dealer said that the aftermarket CD player installed in it, was actually mounted in the wrong hole, the original bracket was used for the new one, and was crunched. He said that the hole in front of the gear shifter is reserved for original Volvo radios only. And if I wanted to change the location, I had to buy a new bracket, and replace it with the "storage hole" at the top of the dashboard (over the heat ventilators).

- Leiv Magne Faane, Norway '86 Volvo 244 GLE, B230A, 260000 km

Reply to
Leiv Magne Faane

Note - the panel at the very center of the dash near the windshield is removeable for exactly this sort of thing - so you can easily access the wires in the upper area.

Also, the lower area has a nice felt lining - makes a spiffy storage bin. They obviously thought ahead here as well. Nice of Volvo.

Reply to
Joseph Oberlander

You can buy a mounting kit for a few dollars to put it either in the lower compartment down by the gearshift as pre-86 cars did, or in the upper dash location like the newer cars. Personally I prefer it down out of the way (that and I have guages in the upper pod) but it's a matter of opinion.

Reply to
James Sweet

Trunk mounted changer. Unit fits down below great, then.

Gauges. Can never have too many factory gauges ;)

Reply to
Joseph Oberlander

You are right. I kept mine at the top since I installed an oil pressure gauge and a voltmeter - they are in the left two panels.

--Todd

Reply to
Todd