Stereo Question

I have a 1997 v6 coupe with a cassette player. I would like a CD player and it doesnt have to be anyting special so i was think the easiest thing to do would be just swap the cassette deck for a CD deck from the same or similar year. I found one here

and I got to lookin at it and dont see a AM / FM tuner part. So I was wondering if it actually replaced the cassette deck or if it was mounted in the little cubby beneath. I took a pic of the inside of my console for a visual aid =)
. Is it going to be as easy as just unplugging one and snapping the other in or am i crazy to believe it would be that easy?

Reply to
Jon Eyman

Hi, If you replace the cassette deck you will not have a radio. So, it goes usually goes in the little cubby.

=2444491984

Reply to
Danny-Boi

The CD player would be inserted into the space now occupied by the cubby box. You would need a harness from a 94-98 Mustang with premium sound system (AM/FM/Cassette, w/ CD player) that did NOT have the Mach 460 option (tweeters in the triangle where the mirrors are rear amps/speakers) A simple swap of this specific harness into your car and everything is plug and play.

TIM -aka- MUSTTANGUY "at" AOL "dot" COM

Musttanguy

Ooo... whole can-o-worms here...

I'm not sure that your car is wired for the CD-interface. The stock CD player will not function on its own as a stereo - it needs the cassette head unit to work. Remove the cubby and look for wires hanging down that look like they might plug into the CD player. Ask the seller to show you pictures of the CD player's connectors and see if they match. If they do, you might be able to pop that one in, plug it in, and be on your way.

You should have the connectors somwhere... look around in behind the radio and such. If you don't have anything that looks like it might plug into the CD player (they'll be Ford multi-pin connectors, not RCA or anything like that... they *may* be a shielded cable style, but I'm not sure if that's only Mach 460 systems), then you are probably SOL in trying to retrofit a stock CD player into your car. In that case, you're much better off and farther ahead to buy an aftermarket deck and have it installed.

Hope that helps...

JS

=2444491984

Reply to