swap the ECU??? 850 question

Quoting from some reliable source:

"1996 Volvo 850: Volvo added a second turbocharged model in the spring--the Volvo 850 R--equipped with a special Bosch engine-management system that programs the turbo to produce 240 horsepower from the same

2.3-liter 5-cylinder."

Can a 850 R ECU be "dropped in" a '96 850 turbo? It would be nice as I would rather have the Volvo mod than a 3rd party hack. Any recommendation in this regard appreciated.

TIA

Reply to
Steve

IIRC IPD sells upgrade ECU's, haven't looked into it but if they have one for the 850T I would guess that's essentially what it is.

Reply to
James Sweet

Yes I think its possible, but the immobiliser may have to be reporogammed. And that is a "Volvo shop only" job. But mind you that there are different transmission and brakes on the "R" and possibly some different engine parts as well. Volvo never reccomends chipping or ECU swapping. Installing a different ECU is no less of a 3rd party hack than chipping. /Patrik

Reply to
Patrik

Thats a good point.

Reply to