Is the Mazda 3 and new S40?

Is it?

The look the same and Mazda and Ford do some label swapping - MX6 and Ford Probe.

I was told both use a Ford Focus chasis? Is this true as well?

If so, why would one purchase a Volvo S40 over Mazda 3? Price on a Mazda 3 must be lower.

And has the quality in Volvo declined/improved/stayed the same since Ford came on board?

?

Tmuld.

Reply to
Tavish Muldoon

The Volvo V50, and S40 (2004.5) are Volvo's first P1 cars, and share a common platform with the Mazda 3 and Ford Focus. Volvo played a significant role in designing that platform.

Different engines, transmissions, and presumably different handling (if Car & Driver is to be believed -- I've never driven a Mazda 3. The V50 handles beautifully, and will be my next car.)

I don't think it has changed. It may have improved. Jaguar's styling and quality has been better after Ford took over, and I think the Ford Volvo's (S40 2004.5 and V50) are very good cars in terms of design and performance.

Beverly

Reply to
Bev A. Kupf

Yes, but the similarity ends there. The engines are different. Everything else is different. Many models share chassis but that is where their similarity ends. The chassis is just the metal structure that holds the sheet metal and running gear. The interior and running gear can vary greatly. For example:

The Mazda 3: Base sedans use a 2.0-liter four-cylinder engine rated to produce 148 horsepower (144 in Calif.), while the upgraded "s" models use a 2.3-liter four-cylinder that bumps the horsepower number to 160. Both engines can be equipped with either a five-speed manual or a four-speed automatic transmission with manual-shift capability. Length: 178.7 in. Width: 69.1 in. Height: 57.7 in. Wheel Base: 103.9 in. Ground Clearance: 5.7 in. Curb Weight: 2762 lbs.

The Volvo S40: Base and LSE models come with a turbocharged 1.9-liter four-cylinder good for 170 horsepower; a five-speed automatic transmission is standard. The 2.4i comes with a naturally aspirated

2.4-liter inline five-cylinder rated for 168 hp. Buyers can choose either a five-speed manual or five-speed automatic to go with it. The T5 gets a turbocharged 2.5-liter inline five that makes 218 hp and 236 pound-feet of torque. In addition to the automatic, the T5 is eligible for a six-speed manual gearbox. T5 versions are also available with all-wheel drive, so long as you select the automatic transmission. Length: 175.9 in. Width: 69.7 in. Height: 57.2 in. Wheel Base: 103.9 in. Ground Clearance: 5.3 in. Curb Weight: 3082 lbs.

The Ford Focus: The standard drivetrain in hatchbacks, wagons and all sedans except the ST is a refined 2.0-liter four-cylinder rated for 136 hp (130 in California emissions states). The ST sedan features a 2.3-liter four good for 151 hp. A five-speed manual transmission is standard across the line, and a four-speed automatic is optional on all but the base S ZX3 hatchback and the ST sedan. Fuel economy is average for this class, as both engines have EPA mileage ratings in the mid-to-upper 20s for city driving and mid-30s for highway travel. Length: 175.2 in. Width: 66.7 in. Height: 56.8 in. Wheel Base: 103 in. Ground Clearance: 6.2 in. Curb Weight: 2677 lbs

Reply to
Stephen M. Henning

Ford owns controlling interest in Mazda and Volvo, the only 2 things they have going for them, imho, sorry to the rule Britannia guys, the rovers and jags are a money pit!

The 3 cars you cite all have the same platform with differing tuning. The focus is set up as a cheep car, the Mazda 3 is a premium small car with zoom zoom zoom, and the Volvo seems from looking at it and reading reviews to be quite Volvo-like.

Test the 3 and the s40/v50 and if the Mazda is fine save some bucks, if not ya gotta go for the Volvo.

Reply to
Steve n Holly

If I read it correcty (for the newsgroup US audience): the US will not be getting a P1 platform Focus any time soon.

0611 PS

Reply to
ps

That is correct. The only vehicles on that platform in the US are the Mazda 3 / Volvo S40 (2004.5) and Volvo V50. The US and European Focus' will not share a platform, engine or transmission.

Reply to
Bev A. Kupf

Reply to
Rob Guenther

The Aston Martin division seems to doing ok.

Reply to
Aleric

Well, not exactly. The Mazda 3, Volvo S40 / V50, and European Focus share the C1 platform, which is the second generation Focus platform. The North American Focus still uses the C170 platform shared with the first generation (1999-2004) European Focus.

Yes, Ford has done a reasonable job at differentiating the C1 platform cars, rather than allowing the different brands to be just different badges on the same car.

Reply to
Timothy J. Lee

OK point granted, however how many units do they move and how much total profit, not profit per unit do they generate?

All that said I like Astons a lot, although at $150k us and up it will be a while before I put my $40k down ;)

Reply to
Steve n Holly

OK I was wrong about the Focus being on the same platform, sorry. Ford must be getting smart, why have Ford and Mazda dealers fight for the same market? That said, Ford will never be able to out cheep Kia and Hyundai, so perhaps going a little upmarket with the Focus is a good idea.

I guess they Focus grouped the focus (ha ha) and the focus buyer wants reliability comfort and safety, Mazda-like driving dynamics are not high on a Ford focus buyers list, or, at lease Ford seems to think so from their actions.

Reply to
Steve n Holly

Reply to
Rob Guenther

The Focus gets good marks for handling and ride in every review that comes out on it. So Focus buyers aren't missing out on the driving dynamics, though the feature content and look and feel aspects of the Focus may not be up to that of the Mazda 3 (not surprising, since the Focus competes in the "cheap" small car market much more than the Mazda

3 does). Also, the Mazda 3 engines are tuned for more power than those in the Focus.
Reply to
Timothy J. Lee

But it is on the same platform, just not in the USA.

Reply to
Stephen M. Henning