Thinking of S40 - Opinions?

My wife's VW Passat 100,000 extended warranty just expired. This car has needed a lot of repairs, and is not affordable without the warranty. I've always driven slightly older Volvos, currently a '96 850 non-turbo. Considering a similar model for my wife, or maybe a S40 turbo. She would prefer the slightly smaller platform, better fuel efficiency, sportier performance. No need to haul kids, we're 50-something empty-nesters.

What is group's opinion on S40? Worthy of Volvo traditional reputation of durability? I haven't driven one, but they look a little flimsy, maybe a maintenance headache.

Are the 2000 - 2002 built well, or was this the typical first generation problems era?

What are the typical problem spots?

Thanks, Pat Q

Reply to
Pat Quadlander

I have a 2000 S40, and I'm happy with it. The only maintenance problem that I know of is that the headlights burn out pretty fast. But you can get more definitive answersfrom the annual issue of Consumer Reports on used cars. Most libraries in the US subscribe. Or go to consumerreports.com.

Reply to
Marvin

My 1998 R reg has now got 316000 miles on it. I had a new gearbox at 80000 miles and last year at 270000 miles the cambelt snapped (bang on the sevice interval, just unlucky) Got a second hand engine for £400 fitted. Guy said that the first engine was still in top class condition and it was a shame to replace but more cost effective to do so. Catalyser replaced at 172000 and still going. Alternator and water pump replaced 212000. Headlamps do burn out frequently but with regular maintenance you should be fine. Just keep regular with the servicing and try to find a good mechanic. Mine still starts first time every morning and although it looks a bit tired it still gets me around. More than I can say for my Freelander (2003 52 plate, head gasket failure at 43000, new engine time but covered under warranty, it goes in the New Year!!!)

Cheers

Andy Middlesbrough UK

Reply to
Andy Burke

Andy, what engine does your mile munching S40 have?

Reply to
David Balfour

Reply to
Andy Burke

The GDi might have made it to 120k miles. Just.!

Tim..

Reply to
Tim..

Well, we acquired a 2002 S40 (lease return) last year, and just picked up a 2001 V40.

The most expensive item is the service that needs to be done at the dealership. Otherwise, regular items that don't need a real dealer go to the local Mister Lube or Suter's Garage (Volvo certified and deals fairly on questionable items).

Confortable ride, turbo is more like an afterburner (V is a bit sluggish due to the 500 piounds of added metal). Only downside on the S40 is the trunk when inserting largish items like storm doors (won't, which is why we got the wagon.)

Reply to
byrocat

"byrocat" wrote

Is it really that much heavier? I have a 2000 V40. Wouldn't have thought there was 500 pounds of metal in the whole car. My only complaint so far is that it rattles a lot at idle and low speed. Seems like there's always something (often a couple of somethings) buzzing as I pull out of my driveway.

Reply to
Ernest Scribbler