Timing belt, head gasket DIY???

With some time and skill, can either/both of these be done by the Volvo owner? I don't have any specific Volvo 'specialty' tools, but I have every wrench possible, air tools, several torque wrenches etc.

I've replace a complete Chevy short block in my day....so the idea of R&R is not new to me....but if I need engine computers and special pullers or whatever....forget it!

Anyone "been there, done that"?

Reply to
Dave Edwards

Dave, when I was younger and more agile and adventurous, I did both these tasks on a 240. If your head gasket is leaking, be sure to have the head milled to be sure it is flat.

Vovlo says to not reuse the head bolts but I did and it worked fine. Be sure to follow the tightening sequence which you will find in any repair manual worth its salt.

When doing the timing belt, be sure to follow the alignment instructions. Again see your repair manual.

Chuck Fiedler Nothing but Volvo since 1974

Reply to
c.fiedler

I have done them quite a few times, and I am not a professional mechanic.

The tasks will take some time, and I wouldn't want to do them this time of year without a garage or other suitable place to do the work.

Of course, I have done the work on a 244 or a 740, and you have a S80, which is a different design, so I cannot speak specifically about that model.

Before doing the work, find a repair manual specific to your application, read the relevant sections, and satisfy yourself that you won't be over your head.

Reply to
Mr. V

Well, this work is on a V40....and I have a garage to work in. Problem I am realizing is that it seems there are no repair manuals for the 2001 V40....or a 2001 S80 for that matter! At least my local place looked it up in their magic computer and told me that none were available. Perhaps I'll try a PEP boys, or something like that. They seem to have a larger stock of repair manuals.

...Dave

Reply to
Dave Edwards

"Dave Edwards" skrev i en meddelelse news:qOCdnTu-osu-WBranZ2dnUVZ snipped-for-privacy@comcast.com...

S80

00083617&sr=8-4 S40 / V40
00083617&sr=8-5 Took me one minute to find.

Greetings Niels

Reply to
Niels Bengaard

That's odd....Here is the same company's reply to me. I guess they are not available in the states (stores) ...Dave

Dear Sir:

Sorry, the manual you are requesting has not been published by Haynes for your vehicle. Contact Faxon Auto Literature at 1-800-458-2734 or Bisko Automotive Books at 1-800-544-3312.

Thank you for your interest in Haynes Automotive/Motorcycle Manuals.

Sincerely,

Technical Research

00083617&sr=8-4>

00083617&sr=8-5>

Reply to
Dave Edwards

The RWD 4 cylinder cars are the easiest head gaskets I've ever done. I can't speak for the FWD stuff as I've never worked on it.

Reply to
James Sweet

Just order online on the internet then.

Greetings Niels

"Dave Edwards" skrev i en meddelelse news:Leydnc5B-dB1cxranZ2dnUVZ snipped-for-privacy@comcast.com...

00083617&sr=8-4>>

00083617&sr=8-5>>

Reply to
Niels Bengaard

Do you think UK instead of US makes any changes other than port vs starboard of the stearing/breaking/throttle etc components?? ....Dave

00083617&sr=8-4>>>

00083617&sr=8-5>>>

Reply to
Dave Edwards

Not on the types of job you will do. Sometimes the engine electronic control system is a bit different because of different laws, but the mechanical parts are the same.

Greetings Niels

"Dave Edwards" skrev i en meddelelse news:XKednfFGrMS8WxXanZ2dnUVZ snipped-for-privacy@comcast.com...

00083617&sr=8-4>>>>

00083617&sr=8-5>>>>

Reply to
Niels Bengaard

00083617&sr=8-4>>>>>

00083617&sr=8-5>>>>>

Reply to
Dave Edwards

Another option is to buy the Volvo Vadis DVD´s on Ebay. Thats Volvos own workshop manual with all the information you may need.

Greetings Niels

"Dave Edwards" skrev i en meddelelse news:fsCdnd9slMjxpxTanZ2dnUVZ snipped-for-privacy@comcast.com...

00083617&sr=8-4>>>>>>

00083617&sr=8-5>>>>>>

Reply to
Niels Bengaard

has never promised prayer only to the children of promise.

Saint Augustine has distinctly said that strength would be taken away from the righteous. But it is by chance that he said it; for it might have happened that the occasion of saying it did not present itself. But his principles make us see that, when the occasion for it presented itself, it was impossible that he should not say it, or that he should say anything to the contrary. It is then rather that he was forced to say it, when the occasion presented itself, than that he said it, when the occasion presented itself, the one being of necessity, the other of chance. But the two are all that we can ask.

514. "Work out your own salvation with fear."

Proofs of prayer. Petenti dabitur.[85]

Therefore it is in our power to ask. On the other hand, there is God. So it is not in our power, since the obtaining of (the grace) to pray to Him is not in our power. For since salvation is not in us, and the obtaining of such grace is from Him, prayer is not in our power.

The righteous man should then hope no more in God, for he ought not to hope, but to strive to obtain what he wants.

Let us conclude then that, since man is now unrighteous since the first sin, and God is unwilling that he should thereby not be estranged from Him, it is only by a first effect that he is not estranged.

Therefore, those who depart from God have not this first effect without which they are not estranged from God, and those who do not depart from God have this first effect. Therefore, those whom we have seen possessed for some time

of holding opinions in which he would have such contemptible persons as companions!

Thus those who only feign these opinions would be very unhappy, if they restrained their natural feelings in order to make themselves the most conceited of men. If, at the bottom of their heart, they are troubled at not having more light, let them not disguise the fact; this avowal will not be shameful. The only shame is to have none. Nothing reveals more an extreme weakness of mind than not to know the misery of a godless man. Nothing is more indicative of a bad disposition of heart than not to desire the truth of eternal promises. Nothing is more dastardly than to act with bravado before God. Let them then leave these impieties to those who are sufficiently ill-bred to be really capable of them. Let them at least be honest men, if they cannot be Christians. Finally, let them recognise that there are two kinds of people one can call reasonable; those who serve God with all their heart because they know Him, and those who seek Him with all their heart because they do not know Him.

But as for those who live without knowing Him and without seeking Him, they judge themselves so little worthy of their own care, that they are not worthy of the care of others; and it needs all the charity of the religion which they despise, not to despise them even to the point of leaving them to their folly. But because this religion obliges us always to regard them, so long as they are in this life, as

Reply to
James Sweet

he who doubts it does not know what a saint or a man is.

509. Philosophers.--A fine thing to cry to a man who does not know himself, that he should come of himself to God! And a fine thing to say so to a man who does know himself!

510. Man is not worthy of God, but he is not incapable of being made worthy.

It is unworthy of God to unite Himself to wretched man; but it is not unworthy of God to pull him out of his misery.

511. If we would say that man is too insignificant to deserve communion with God, we must indeed be very great to judge of it.

512. It is, in peculiar phraseology, wholly the body of Jesus Christ, but it cannot be said to be the whole body of Jesus Christ. The union of two things without change does not enable us to say that one becomes the other; the soul thus being united to the body, the fire to the timber, without change. But change is necessary to make the form of the one become the form of the other; thus the union of the Word to man. Because my body without my soul would not make the body of a man; therefore my soul united to any matter whatsoever will make my body. It does not distinguish the necessary condition from the sufficient condition; the union is necessary, but not sufficient. The left arm is not the right.

Impenetrability is a property of matter.

Identity de numero in regard to the same time requires the identity of matter.

Thus if God united my soul to a body in China, the same body, idem numero would be in China.

The same river which runs there is idem numero as that which runs at the same time in China.

513. Why God has established prayer.

  1. To communicate to His creatures the dignity of causality.

  2. To teach us from whom our virtue comes.

  1. To make us deserve other virtues by work.

(But to keep His own pre-eminence, He grants prayer to whom He pleases.)

Objection: But we believe that we hold prayer of ourselves.

This is absurd; for since, though having faith, we cannot

Reply to
Dave Edwards