240 '93 starter problem

Hi ! I have a problem with the starter. In fact when the engine it's hot the starter doesn't turn because the solenoid doesn't close the contact. If I wait a quarter of hour it goes regularly. I tryed to supply directly the solenoid from the battery while happens how I saied before and it's all normal! So I think that's a relay's problem but I don't know if there is a starter relay and, if so, where is it??

Thank you and enjoy your VOLVO!!

Reply to
Andrea1717

The 240 does not have an external relay, it is all contained within the solenoid.

Assuming your cable connections are clean, the problem is within the starter / solenoid assembly and it will have to be unbolted and either repaired or replaced.

Reply to
Mr. V

The best solution is to replace the starter/solenoid assembly with a rebuilt one. Getting the upper bolt out can be a pain and will require the creative use of socket wrench extensions, etc. Also the thing is heavy, so don't drop it on yourself pulling it out!

John

Reply to
John Horner

....But I think that the solenoid it's ok because if I give tension directly by a bridge from the battery to the solenoid it closes the contact and the starter turns regurarly . So I think that the problem It's between the key block (I don't know the right name in english....where you put the key for switching on the car) and the solenoid.

Reply to
Andrea1717

Is the car an automatic? If so, check the neutral safety switch in the shifter assembly. Try wiggling the shifter when the car won't start.

Reply to
James Sweet

I repeat that the problem occours only when the engine is hot after 3 or 4 hour

Thanks, Andrea!

Reply to
Andrea1717

under the Babylonians, when no persecution had been made, and when there were so many prophets, would they have let them be burnt?

Josephus laughs at the Greeks who would not hear...

Tertullian: Perinde potuit abolefactam eam violentia cataclysmi in spiritu rursus reformare, quemadmodum et Hierosolymis Babylonia expugnatione deletis, omne instrumentum Judaicae literaturae per Esdram constat restauratum.[113]

He says that Noah could as easily have restored in spirit the book of Enoch, destroyed by the Deluge, as Esdras could have restored the Scriptures lost during the Captivity.

(Theos) en te epi Nabouchodonosor aichmalosia tou laou, diaphthareison ton Graphon... enepneuse 'Esdra to ierei, ek tes phules Leui tous ton progegonoton propheton pantas anataxasthai logous, kai apokatastesai to lae ten dia Mouseos nomothesian. He alleges this to prove that it is not incredible that the Seventy may have explained the Holy Scriptures with that uniformity which we admire in them. And he took that from Saint Irenaeus.

Saint Hilary, in his preface to the Psalms, says that Esdras arranged the Psalms in order.

The origin of this tradition comes from the 14th chapter of the fourth book of Esdras. Deus glorificatus est, et Scripturae vere divinae creditae sunt, omnibus eandem et eisdem verbis et eisdem nominibus recitantibus ab initio usque ad finem, uti et praesentes gentes cognoscerent quoniam per inspirationem Dei interpretatae sunt Scripturae, et non esset mirabile Deum hoc in eis operatum: quando in ea captivitate populi quae facta est a Nabuchodonosor, corruptis scripturis et post 70 annos Judaeis descendentibus in regionem suam, et post deinde temporibus Artaxerxis Persarum regis, inspiravit Esdrae sacerdoti tribus Levi praeteritorum prophetarum omnes rememorare sermones, et restituere populo eam legem quae data est per Moysen.[114]

633. Against the story in Esdras,
240 Starter assembly is one of the easier things to do by the average do-it-yourselfer. It's about 1 step above cleaning the automatic window switches and costs about $12.

All (or nearly all) 240s and 740s and 940s can share the same starter motor. At your local pic-n-pull junk yard, take your ratchet wrench set, including a few short and long extenders and one of those ratchet wrench u-joints that can wobble a bit. I think it's only 2 bolts that you figure out when you get under there. Experiment with different combinations of wrench extenders (4 inch, 10 inch, maybe even 2 10-inch extenders).

I pulled about 4 of these, as they also fit 140, 122, and 1800, all of which I needed on projects.

Installing is reverse of removal.

Reply to
Pat Quadlander

One thing about these is it's a lot easier to change on a manual transmission car than automatic. The upper bolt on the autos is a really tight fit. The 700/900 series has a lot more room there.

Reply to
James Sweet