Traks and ABS light on 96 850 GLT................. what the dealer said.................FYI

Well, I just traded my beloved 96 850 GLT in for a brand spankin new XC70. Actually, after driving the XC70... it is now my official "beloved Volvo".

Anyway, when I traded my 850 GLT in and I said the ABS and Traks light comes on intermittantly, the sales dude said "oh yea, that's a well known problem with that model". So I pressed on and I said "how come Volvo won't do anything about that?" and he said that there was a class action law suit that went no where. Even though I just got rid of the problem, I was still ticked off and hence my post. I paid $34,000 for that 850 in 1996 and now I am now finding out the truth??!! Guys, this is not right.

I still think I and all of you who have had the problem should be compensated. I'd like to hear all your opinions as to why yes or no.

Reply to
bitstream

I suspect that the failure rate on those modules must be close to 100%. I had to replace the one on my '96 950 at a cost of $500 for the part. I installed it myself, which was easy.

Volvo's position has consistently been that it lasted past the warranty, so tough ****. What really adds insult to injury is that Volvo is the company which profits when you have to buy the new part.

I thought of getting a junkyard module, but what can the expected lifetime on one of those be since the problem is in the basic design??

John

Reply to
John Horner

You could have saved some money by getting it repaired.

Beverly

Reply to
Bev A. Kupf

People who think they should be compensated for an idiot light going on are idiots. It can easily be fixed with a piece of black tape. What should really happen is that we should get together here, spread the word and get the cause promptly fixed. I have a strong relation with my dealer (on my 10th Volvo, all dealer serviced) and when something stupid happened recently, I demanded action and got it.

Reply to
Stephen Henning

That is not a real fix. The ABS system and TRACS would continue to be non-functional, even if the driver couldn't see the warning light anymore.

John

Reply to
John Horner

Yea.. if my ABS is disfuntional cause of the a bad product I should just put tape over it... yea, sure that's a great idea. Idiot.

FYI, when the ABS and the Tracks lights come on, ABS does NOT work.

Reply to
bitstream

Get your priorities straight. You reported the idiot light as the problem. I proposed a solution. What you really meant was the failure of the ABS was the problem. Perhaps you made the same mistake when you reported the problem to your dealer. Most states have a lemon law. If they can't fix it the law fixes them.

Imagine how unsafe cars were before ABS and idiot lights. You never knew if your brakes would work until you used them. What a lame concept.

Reply to
Stephen Henning

I am not intered in your proposals, insights, words or comments. Get lost.

Reply to
bitstream

You can make a case to have the ABS controller fixed at no charge, but I don't understand why you would want to be compensated. Compensated for what? The hassle of not having a functional ABS?

FWIW, fixing it cost me something like $150, and maybe an hour of work.

Beverly

Reply to
Bev A. Kupf