Troublesome 1992 240GL - 4Cyl fuel Inj B230F

Have had problems with engine for sometime. Have spent thousands with multiple so called experts, still not right. Car runs OK then struggles and finaly dies. Turn off ignition, remove key. Reinsert, turn key and then starts immediately. Happens every couple of days. Bad at low revs but recently had problems at 2500rpm. Issue is now dangerous on Freeways. Suspect wiring harness fault, or relay. Earlier problem was, start immediately when cold then die. Had to rev for several minutes (presumably to reach temperature), then OK. Any one had a similar history? Found the fault?

Reply to
bob

I would almost suspect a clogged fuel filter or some kind of fuel pump problem. I had a car that did this once, and eventually I unplugged the fuel pump and somebody had jammed aluminum foil down in the connector in an attempt to mickey-mouse a broken plug. I soldered a wire down in the socket and it worked fine thereafter.

Fuel filters are cheap anyways, never hurts to try that one first, just be careful. I haven't changed the one in my 240 yet but if its the big metal one with metal lines, be real careful and use appropriate line wrenches. Busting a metal fuel line turns a little job into a major problem.

And finally, swap in a fuel pump relay and check the fuse for it. Maybe the one you have is getting hot or something and cutting out intermittently after a while.

Thats all I can think of. I'd wager that its some kind of fuel delivery problem for sure from the sound of it.

Reply to
Douglas

Thanks for your help. I must admit that fuel pump has not been concentrated on. Although there has been numerous fuel pressure checks.

Reply to
bob