TUBE question on 1989 240GL

I was cleaning up my air intake (changing filter and all). I noticed at the bottom of the airbox a tube that goes from the airbox to the opposite side of the engine into the exhaust. What is that tube doing. Isnt it bringing in HOT air from the exhaust to the filter box? Can I remove it and plug up that hole bye the header?

Thanks

Reply to
Pete

Yes that's what it's for. That's important (some times) when the temperature goes below freezing. There's a sensor and flap inside the airbox that switches between that hot air source and cold air from in front of the radiator. It's a good idea to check the function of that sensor as it often fails. Some cars seem to have no problem without that hose no matter how cold it gets, and if you live where is rarely falls below freezing then you can leave it off too. Make sure that the flap inside the airbox can't switch to the position to block off the other input if you disconnect the hose and plug that hole.

Reply to
Mike F