V40 not starting still!

Hi

I have a 1998 V40. Went to start it today and as I turned the ignition key all the dash lights came on as normal but when I turned to position 3 all the lights on the dash went out and nothing happened. I have checked the battery and all fuses and all are ok. All electrics that operate without ignition (lighter, courtesy lights, clock etc.) work fine but there is absolutely nothing happening when I try to start the car.

I have not looked yet but tested with multimeter between battery -ve and engine and it seems to be fine. All fuses are ok an the ignition switch seems ok. Battery fully charged and all accessories that work before ignition key turned are ok(lights, cigar lighter etc). 12V getting to ignition switch but when key is turned to P1 the voltage drops to 120mV and nothing lights on dash. Does this suggest a short somewhere?

Any further help would be appreciated

Andy Middlesbrough UK

Reply to
Andy Burke

Suggests a high resistance between the battery and the ignition switch, have a look for fusible links, these can be in the form of a wire.

Check the volts across the battery when you turn to start and if OK work back down the circuit until you find the problem.

Reply to
OBD