V70 Tdi ticking / other ? problems ?

Just got a clean condition March 1997 V70 2.5 Tdi with approx 150,000 miles on the clock and full service history. It runs well and gives good economy but I have a few problem / queries which people here might be able to help me with...

1) There is a ticking when just started from cold which sounds like a " valve out of adjustment" but I believe these are self-adjusting, so can it still be this ? It does seem to lessen after about 5 to 10 mins when the engine gets fully heated through.

2) There is a small but definite "impression of misfiring" at low revs / tickover - not being familiar with the sound of these engines, it may actually be normal - just doesn't sound quite as smooth as it might be. Is this the sort of mileage a head job / regrind valves becomes desirable or is this a big/difficult job that should be left until essential ?

3) At what point should injectors be reconditioned / replaced - are these easy to get at to change?

4) After starting and running fine the first day, leaving it for 24 hrs, it was difficult to start - engine spun over well, and quickly fired, but didn't catch - this happened a few times before it did catch and ran OK. Fuel tank was full.

The engine certainly feels very lively and even at wide open throttle, e.g. going up a long hill, there doesn't seem to be any appreciable haze out of the back

Thanks, Nick

Reply to
Nick

I don't have any experence with diesels, but that sounds exactly like an old Chevy V/8 would when the lifters are getting a bit worn out...

Reply to
Steve

Hi Steve,

Thanks for the reply - I hope I haven't got a Chevy then (but I guess its not too bad a job), and it probably won't worsen too quickly.

Reply to
Nick

Definatrly sounds like a sticky lifter (I am fairly sure this engine uses hydraulic lifters?) in which case a couple of fresh oil changes, or (with care) a light dose of oil treatment / cud remover followed by a change might help.

At this mileage your low speed miss / irregularity is almost definately from worn injectors, or more specifically - one with a poor spray pattern. Get them overhauled first before start lifting the head!

Not sure, possible immobiliser problem- initially failing to read the key, but doing so on 2nd attempt?

Unusual- these TDi's normally like to smoke somewhat under full power. (perhaps its been chipped- which does clean up the smoke in the majority of cases)

Tim..

Reply to
Tim..

Hi Tim,

Thanks for the reply - will do a couple of oil / filter changes and try flush as well.

Living with it a bit more suggests one possibility could be some or all of the glowplugs may not be lighting up properly when cold, as it starts readily as long as the glow plug light does not come on, even if standing for an hour or two. I had this problem on my last car and glowplugs / injector overhaul made a terrific difference.

I will likely be appearing here frequently as I try to iron out the niggles - Air Con, vibes in pedals, and steering pump noise to yet be posted !

Thanks,

Nick

Reply to
Nick

Injectors should be reworked at 60,000 miles and replaced (with exchange) after 120,000 miles. Glowplugs take around 9 Amperes each. Easy check is with 6-21 Watt test lamp, positive battery terminal to one end and other end on each glow plug in turn with each connection undone for test. If lamp lights brightly glowplug is ok, if lamp does not light glowplug is duff and should be replaced. Glowplug relay can burn up it's contacts inside if taking a lot of use. There is a flat strip fuse underneath relay which can get blown if being careless with spanner. It's rating should be 60Amps.

All the best, Peter.

700/900/90 Register Keeper, Volvo Owners Club (UK).
Reply to
Peter K L Milnes

Before doing anything else get the disel pump adjusted! The symptoms you mention can all come from a diselpump out of adjustment.

When you hear the engine ticking press and hold down the break pedal for a while. If the ticking dissappear, it is a worn vacuum pump, which is normal with that mileage.

Regards Per

Reply to
Per Groth Ludvigsen