Volvo 240 Has No Power

Hello All

I recently purchased a '92 240DL with 156,000 miles on the odometer. I also own a '89 740.The 740 has 289,000 miles on it. They both have the B230F engine. My question is why will the 740 run circles around the 240. Since the

740 is a much heavier car I would have thought the 240 would be the better performer of the two. The 740 accelerates much better than the 240 and gets better fuel mileage.25MPG verses 23MPG. The 240 has been tuned up with new plugs,distributor cap and rotor,plug wires and had the injectors cleaned. A compression test was done.All cylinders are 160 PSI.Still it does not have the zip of the 740 that has twice the mileage of the 240. Anyone have any thoughts on this?

Thanks Larry

Reply to
Ford Fan

Just off the top of my head here but I think the 740 is lighter.

Check the fuel preasure regulator for a leaking diaphragm on the 240.

Are they both LH injection or is one Regina?

Have any injectors been replaced? My dealer recomended the wrong injector for my last 240 when I needed one. If I had bought i,t I would have had one rich cylinder and a confused engine computer.

My Maroon 940 has always seemed to have more pep.

Al

Had 79 245 D, 81 240 D, 86 240 320,000mi and running fine when traded 94 944 Green 257,503 mi CRUNCH Parted out Have 94 944 White 149,000 The New one 94 944 Maroon 135,000 mi

Reply to
Vrparts

This is a safety feature originally invented by Ralph Nader after the popularity of his book "Unsafe at any Speed" in the '60's.

One of the many reasons that Volvos are the safest cars on the road..... KennyH

Horsepower is cheaper than therapy.

Reply to
KHanawalt

740 is actually a bit lighter than the 240... The most likely cause for the performance difference that comes to mind is the final drive gear ratio, perhaps it's different? Also how are the tires on the 240? If they're underinflated even a little you'll notice it. Does it have a decent exhaust system? How about the air cleaner? That said you should get at least 25 mpg on a 240 at least on the highway, I get almost that from my 240 Turbo.
Reply to
James Sweet

Final drive ratio? Is the 240 geared much higher?

Tyre pressures? Brakes binding?

Failing all that, ignition timing retarded, and then plugged exhaust system are my favourates.

Tim..

Reply to
Tim (Remove NOSPAM.